• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some pitting in barrel, can it be opened from .50 to .54 in. 7/8" barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a Hatfield rifle that I believe has a Pedersoli barrel measuring 7/8" across the flats and in .50 caliber. There is some pitting about 3" long on one side of the barrel somewhere about 12 to 15 inches from the muzzle. The rest of the bore looks great! I'm at a loss to understand how this isolated area could exist when the rest of the bore is great. I cannot feel any problems running patches down, no snagging or tearing. I think this is one of their barrels with a 1:48 twist. Can this bore be opened up and rifled to .54 caliber with a 1:66 twist in a barrel measuring 7/8"?
Thanks for all advice!

I'd shoot it for a bit first to see if anything is really needed. I've seen guns that you'd swear would never shoot due to pitting that were pretty darn accurate. They were a bit of a pain to clean though.

Yep, these barrels are very forgiving, shoot it, if it needs polishing use some toothpaste, be gentle, it may surprise you...

Clean and shoot if the rest of the weapon is secure. A many old guns have a small amount of pitting in the area below the muzzle. That is where the climate meats the steel first and commences oxidation. Many polishing methods can be used and will presents results. Maybe a few shots will clean the barrel, depends how bad it is pitted.

One of my favorite competition pistols by some" Knecht in St.Gallen" also has a pitted barrel . Shooting it with greased patches needs wiping after each shot , but when I load with spitted patch , it shoots like a charm with no cleaning between the shots either with really good results . I only wished , I could say this from myself , too ...

So shoot Yours and see , what happens !

k-20190423_193403.jpg

Hello everyone,
I recently bought a Hatfield rifle that I believe has a Pedersoli barrel measuring 7/8" across the flats and in .50 caliber. There is some pitting about 3" long on one side of the barrel somewhere about 12 to 15 inches from the muzzle. The rest of the bore looks great! I'm at a loss to understand how this isolated area could exist when the rest of the bore is great. I cannot feel any problems running patches down, no snagging or tearing. I think this is one of their barrels with a 1:48 twist. Can this bore be opened up and rifled to .54 caliber with a 1:66 twist in a barrel measuring 7/8"?
Thanks for all advice!
As long as the barrel isn't tearing patches up when their shot, you probably shouldn't do anything to it.
Some light pitting doesn't cause a problem at all except it makes cleaning the bore a bit more difficult. Just take some extra care in scrubbing your guns bore when you clean it up after your done shooting and most likely, it (and you) will be fine.

How much metal would have to be removed to clean up the rifling? Eh, depends upon the depth of rifling. You might have a real nifty .52.

If you shoot it a while like it is and see how it does, learn what it likes best and then decide you want better...
Well, think it through after you get there. Meanwhile get real awesome good with that new to you rifle.

That's just my way of doing things.

As long as the barrel isn't tearing patches up when their shot, you probably shouldn't do anything to it.
Some light pitting doesn't cause a problem at all except it makes cleaning the bore a bit more difficult. Just take some extra care in scrubbing your guns bore when you clean it up after your done shooting and most likely, it (and you) will be fine.
Thanks Zonie, great advice, cleaned the heck out of it and will try it out. I'm certain it'll be more accurate than me.

How much metal would have to be removed to clean up the rifling? Eh, depends upon the depth of rifling. You might have a real nifty .52.

If you shoot it a while like it is and see how it does, learn what it likes best and then decide you want better...
Well, think it through after you get there. Meanwhile get real awesome good with that new to you rifle.

Thanks! I hadn't even considered a .52 caliber. I have recently found out that Pedersoli's new Blue Ridge flintlocks at Cabelas also have a .54 caliber option in a 7/8" barrel. So just maybe if if shots well, I'll leave it alone, if not, pack it off to Robert Hoyt for evaluation and options.

Thanks to all for advice,
I have recently found out that Pedersoli's new Blue Ridge flintlocks at Cabelas also have a .54 caliber option in a 7/8" barrel. So just maybe if if shoot well, I'll leave it alone, if not, pack it off to Robert Hoyt for evaluation and options. Here's a photo of the Hatfield rifle. I also have the percussion lock and fabricated the drum so conversion back and fourth will be easy. Probably leave it as a flinter though.
Best of luck to all, be careful out there...
Snooterpup
image.jpeg

I don't know about a .52 cal, but I do know that Bob Hoyt won't go to .54 in a 7/8" barrel.

Hello Gemmer,
I did speak to Mr. Hoyt and will send this to him for evaluation later this year. The pitting is minor and in a very small area. He suggested "freshening" the .50 caliber bore. I may have to use a .495 RB and a bit thicker patch. I'll leave it to his expertise. Thanks for the advice!
Snooterpup

Back