• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1860 vs 1851 Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Twas" a joke.

As a kid watching those old B Westerns I always thought it looked like they were trying to pitch the bullet out of their guns at the bad guys.

Little did I suspect I might have been seeing some actual history but it could be true.

Since careful sight alignment & squeezing off a round is not an option while mounted on a galloping horse, shooting a pistol from horseback by a rapid throwing like motion from holding it pointed in the air (safer for your compatriots that way) to "throwing" it (but not releasing one's grip) at the intended target was still being done for as long as calvary existed. I have a translation of a Polish calvary manual from the 1930s that teaches using this method with a semi-auto pistol. I might like to try it but first I must have a buy in from my horse.

Son-of-a-gun! I'd noticed that "raising the pistol" thing, but thought it was just an affectation for the movie, but what you're saying actually makes lot of sense (from one who has mangled caps falling every which way!).

Bear in mind, though, at my range pointing the gun up into the air is heavily frowned upon, but "rolling" it is fine.

at my range pointing the gun up into the air is heavily frowned upon.

My range also. The RSO ( now a best buddy ) came over to me about pointing the ROA in the air. He did not know I was putting powder in the chambers. He did not know anything about charcoal burners at the time.
I got a
Traditions Performance Firearms Loading Stand for Black Powder Revolver Cylinder - .44 Caliber
So I don't have that problem anymore.

at my range pointing the gun up into the air is heavily frowned upon.
That's weird. Every range safety officer I've ever known felt that pointing (not shooting) a guns muzzle towards the sky was the safest way to point a gun when it wasn't being pointed down range.

Pointing a gun down at the ground anyplace behind the firing line isn't safe because if the gun fires the bullet can recochet and hit someone or something. Pointing it horizontally it will be aiming directly at something. Pointing it up in the air,probably won't hit anything with much velocity if the gun fires and the bullet drops to earth.

Very strange. o_O

Had the same problem with my Uberti Navy revolver,,Could not get through a whole cylinder without a cap jam..Always used full charge loads,,Was told to back off on the charge,,(didn't want to do that)..get stronger main spring(didn't want to do that either,,seeing how smooth the revolver was),,Finally I was told to switch to Tresco nipples,,I did, and have not had one cap jam since!!!

There is a simple solution that doesn't require buying $30 worth of new nipples. This solution doesn't seem to be noticed or thought of by pretty well everyone. Take a triangular file and make a slight cut across the surface of the flat of the nipple so it reaches both sides of the surface creating a complete channel from inside to outside. All you need is enough to feel it with your fingernail. When the cap fires, the perfectly flat surface of the nipple normally seals that flash to send the cap straight back. But the first thing it now sees is a channel to the side that you cut and that is where it goes first blasting out the side. The cap will now fly free when the hammer is cocked back for the next shot. If that cut were not there, the flash would blow straight back against the hammer and now the weak spot it sees is the safety notch cut in the hammer and the cap jams itself into it.
So, simple laws of physics with a file notch in the equation saves the day and no more problem. You can also see why the hammer should not touch the nipple or that channel would only work once.

This is what works for me: take an Arkansas sharpening stone, or something similar, and polish the hammer where it contacts the caps until it shines.
If the hammer has the safety slot that fits over the pins, take a small file, and knock off the sharp edges, especially at the bottom of the opening.
Since doing this to all my revolvers, my cap jams are about one in a hundred.

That's weird. Every range safety officer I've ever known felt that pointing (not shooting) a guns muzzle towards the sky was the safest way to point a gun when it wasn't being pointed down range.

Pointing a gun down at the ground anyplace behind the firing line isn't safe because if the gun fires the bullet can recochet and hit someone or something. Pointing it horizontally it will be aiming directly at something. Pointing it up in the air,probably won't hit anything with much velocity if the gun fires and the bullet drops to earth.

Very strange. o_O

Absolutely right, Zonie. I am a certified RSO at our local range. We do not allow muzzles pointing down exactly for that reason...

I think you all missed my point. First I was talking about my black powder revolver. He saw me aiming it up straight up in the sky. We have a no blue sky policy at that club. The point is nothing is supposed to leave the range. We are surrounded by neighbors. You're not supposed to point it at the ground either. Even though it is dirt but of course there are stones there. Out of the case onto the bench downrange. I was only trying to point out the RSO is not familiar with black powder revolvers.

It looks like policy is dependent on location and have setup. I too RSO too and we don't allow any firearm to be loaded except at the firing line. Muzzleloaders are charged behind the line at our range and then capped or primed at the line. If a firearm has a malfunction that can't be cleared at the line a cease fire is called and the firearm is removed from the range.

It looks like policy is dependent on location and have setup. I too RSO too and we don't allow any firearm to be loaded except at the firing line. Muzzleloaders are charged behind the line at our range and then capped or primed at the line. If a firearm has a malfunction that can't be cleared at the line a cease fire is called and the firearm is removed from the range.

You are correct about policy. We load our black powder arms right at the line. The rifle range is part of the pistol range and it is a hot range. Members are allowed to concealed or open carry loaded and can practice drawing and shooting.

The above is why I shoot solo in the woods. I can ignore myself all day and shoot where I want and point up down n all around and I just smile as the RSO screams at me. :D

The above is why I shoot solo in the woods. I can ignore myself all day and shoot where I want and point up down n all around and I just smile as the RSO screams at me. :D
Yah, Gunney's voice still yelling in my brain kinda spoils the experience once in a while until I mentally give him the disguized 3finger salute that he can't see and then I also can do what I want with a clear conscience.

Not really. At our range we desparetly do not want a round to leave the range. For fear of the neighbors shutting us down. We are a no blue sky range.

Same situation at our range. I'm an RSO and a presenter for the Range Orientation. We specifically stress not pointing a muzzle anywhere except downrange.

That's why I choose to build a house in the mountains with my own off the patio shooting range. Touched off a dozen hexunds from the Whitworth today and I never got yelled at by myself once for any "Blue Sky" violation :) I do understand that sometimes safety rules seem overzealous but those are the range's rules must be observed. Some people with firearms can be outright scary with their lack of muzzle awareness. I may also add that some normal people if given a whistle, a badge or a little authority tend to get a little heavy handed.

Back