• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky Pistol Kit. Trigger question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprayinbear

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you think,

While this is a relatively simple kit (mostly sanding, shaping and assembly), I am unsure how to proceed with the trigger assembly. As inlet, when lock and trigger are test installed, the trigger has so much play that it has to be pulled almost fully back to engage the lock. My only thought is to inlet the trigger assembly more deeply. There is already a lot of wood to remove in order to bring the trigger and guard to flush. I suppose I can go deeper.

Thoughts?

T IMG_2277.JPG IMG_2278.JPG
First photo shows trigger at the point where it first touches the sear. 2nd pic: Lock removed with trigger in same position. 3rd pic: shows trigger unit inlet now. 4th pic shows trigger unit removed. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2281.JPG
    IMG_2281.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 57
I'd say, go deeper with the trigger plate mortise.
It's just my opinion but I think the entire belly of that stock needs to be changed to bring it up higher. That would have the effect of making the trigger plate not look as deep as it looks now and the entire gun would look better.

Two options: Like Zonie says, inlet the trigger/plate deeper and shape the belly of stock. The Lock panels are WAY TOO WIDE as is. OR, solder a piece of steel on top of the trigger to engage the sear with the trigger not so far back.

I feel the trigger is deep enough and the wood when cut down will allow the lock panels to be reduced to a thin contour. At this point I would add metal to the trigger. A piece of metal, brass or steel, could be soldered to the top edge to get it to reach the sear. Leave the tail and front of the lock panels full length and reduce the top edge as well as the bottom. The trigger guard inlet would be a task to deepen as much with the trigger.

What do you think?

Looks pretty normal to me. I have two of them. The triggers are normally quite floppy, but it should tighten up when fully cocked and have only very slight side to side movement.

There is definitely too much wood around the trigger and lock panel though. Traditions must be cutting corners on stock shaping.

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree... there is way too much wood on the lock panels. They definitely need to be reshaped. I had thought about reshaping the stock and then forging a new trigger, but if I can avoid firing up the forge, I would prefer it. I like the idea of adding to the trigger. Certainly worth a try.

I think I would wait until I had a chance to shoot it before modifying the trigger.

Problem solved. I went deeper with the trigger assembly and solved the problem. Still a slight bit of slop, but the pull is crisp and relatively light now. Now I am in the process of reshaping the panels to match. There is a lot of extra wood on these kits. Here is a pic of the pistol trigger at full cock. Trigger is now almost vertical. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_2282.JPG
    IMG_2282.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 75
I hope this thread helps other Traditions builders in the future. And speaking of the future.... I don't like shiny brass, so I've begun antiquing the brass fittings. I will also be browning the barrel and I think I'll try my hand at faux tiger striping. Historically correct? Maybe yes and maybe no. I'm just having fun and trying to take my mind off this terrible virus. Prayers for everyone. Be safe, do what you can, and enjoy the little things!

Back