• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to load powder with a scope

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I need some advise. I have an 1863 Sharps, 45 caliber 3 band rifle with a 30" barrel. It is a Farmingdale with serial number 24xx.
I have a 34" scope on it. This is how I bought it. It has no sights on it but a bunch of screw holes where different things were installed. ( reminds me of the really nice mutt I got from the kill shelter )
The scope has Unertl type rings.
My question is how do you all get powder into the chamber with the scope over it in the way?
Thanks all.

I betcha a feller could build paper "cartridges" to load in that breech.

Scope is pretty tight to the breech?

Would like to see pictures of your conundrum.

IMG_20200322_123308.jpg
IMG_20200322_123318.jpg
IMG_20200322_123221.jpg
IMG_20200322_123336.jpg

I have not had any success making paper cartridges. I have to keep trying. But in the meantime I wish it could be easier to get powder in the chamber.

Nice. Thanks for the photo's. I see what you mean. Looks like a funnel of sorts is in order for loading behind the bullet.

Looks like you have begun getting acquainted tho. She looks like a hoot for sure.

Think I would look for a long stemmed funnel to ensure all the powder gets to where it belongs.

Do you swab between shots or just get by with blasting away? Those last shots look promising for sure.

Gonna hunt with it or target?

Color me green. That is a fine rifle!

Nother suggestion is research you tube for tutorial's on building or buying the "cartridges" for that great rifle.

By the by ... what bullets do you use in it?

I was thinking a funnel of some sort to. I do send a cleaning patch thru, I use both sides so twice then a dry patch both sides.
Maybe just use a piece of printer paper for a funnel?
Just paper punch using T/C maxi balls and Bore Butter in the lube grooves.
Got her off of GB. Probably would not have bought it as it was supposed to be a 54 but showed up as a 45. That was ok but all the screw holes.
The owner must have tried a different sight system every 6 months.
And yesterday the sun catches the wood just right and the forearm does not match butt stock. Now I see it plain as day.
You know what, it does what it is supposed to do so that makes me happy.

Back