• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Grafs powder made by Goex now

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just looking at powder prices on Grafs and Sons and saw this notice. "As of 2020, Manufactured for Graf & Sons by Goex Powder Inc." I thought Grafs powder was made by Schuetzen in the past. The Grafs label stuff is about $2.50 a pound cheaper than regular Goex.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this latest Grafs powder. Is it regular Goex which is what I normally use? At that low price I might try a few pounds since I assume Goex wouldn't turn out an inferior product no matter what label is on the container.

Jeff

Yes, Graf's was made by Schuetzen. I am glad to see them switching to American powder as there supplier.
Goex also makes Olde Eynsford and it is the best powder ever made in the US. It is the right choice if you care about quality.

A guy might not notice too much change from a smoothy flinter, but I promise you that it is Night/Day at 1000yards in a 107* heat on your 38th shot...the OE will still be holding true to the black!

I'm just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised to find that Schuetzen is still making Graf's powder and GOEX is just importing it and selling it to the public in the USA. In other words, GOEX is reaping the profits that were being made by whoever was importing it before.

Guys,
Thanks for your opinions. Think I'll place a small order for the Grafs powder to see if it makes a difference over the usual Goex. The Olde Eyensford sounds interesting for BP cartridges but it probably wouldn't matter for my casual cartridge shooting.

In general, I like the idea of competition with the different brands but don't want to lose the only American made powder. Yes, that leaves me stuck in a cleft stick. I'll call Grafs and Sons next week to see what I can learn.

Jeff

Yes, Graf's was made by Schuetzen. I am glad to see them switching to American powder as there supplier.
Goex also makes Olde Eynsford and it is the best powder ever made in the US. It is the right choice if you care about quality.

A guy might not notice too much change from a smoothy flinter, but I promise you that it is Night/Day at 1000yards in a 107* heat on your 38th shot...the OE will still be holding true to the black!

Olde Eynesford is superb and clean-shooting powder, perhaps the best on the market.

OE is really good powder from what I have been shooting with it. Mainly 20 and 10 gauge muzzle loading shotguns. I don't buy anything else. It is a hotter powder compared to standard Goex.

Grizz that is what I am learning. Have read some reviews that it did not shoot quite as well as Swiss in the small calibers but I have had no issues. My nearest Supplier sells Swiss for $525 a case Ole E $400 and Standard Goex for $325. When I figure in Indiana 7% sales tax that breaks down to Swiss $22.47 a pound Ole E $17.12 a pound and Goex $16.05 a pound. Some on here have figured out my habit of buying in bulk, i.e. 40 bottles of Hoppes BP Lube on accident :doh: , so I intend to pick up a case of mostly 3F Olde E pretty soon. I have shot it in 32,36, 40 and 45 cal with excellent results so I consider it a good investment. I have sold most of the guns that I purchased over the last few years and with any luck I will be around long enough to shoot it up.

Between OE and Swiss there is a significant price difference.
If there is no difference in performance, why spend extra bucks?

If you are plinking, go cheap. If you're shooting in competition, you want the best. I shoot competition and there IS a difference between regular Goex and Shutzen and the good stuff- Old E and Swiss. The guys in the winners circle are into controlling variables and that means you'll be using Old E or Swiss.

One other interesting factoid- when switching from regular Goex/Schutzen you'll find that you can achieve the same accuracy with a smaller charge so the higher price of Old E/Swiss is somewhat offset by using a smaller charge. When doing load development in my muskets, regular Goex/Schutzen ran best with 44.5gr 3f. With Old E/Swiss, I was able to cut the charges to 40gr 3f for the same accuracy and point of impact. So if the price difference is about 10% or so, there's really not much change in cost per shot.

I tried the Wano supplied Graf powder several pounds worth over the past couple of years and was not impressed with it. It is an acceptable inexpensive plinking powder; nothing wrong with that, but regular Goex and especially Old Eynsford bested it for accuracy and consistentcy. I want to try the Goex supplied powder this year.

Back