• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 Caliber lead projectiles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am getting a 40 caliber kit and was lucky enough to buy a .395 round ball Lyman mold on Ebay. My state requires 45 caliber for deer, but there are other animals that can be hunted. I would like to find a slug/REAL projectile that can be shot in a 40 caliber rifle. Anybody know of anything please?

Someone on the site has been using .40 REAL style bullets.
And depending upon the bore diameter, rifling geometry and rate of twist, you might find a .40 caliber pistol mold that will work.

Maybe yes, maybe no. 1:48 stabilize some conical designs quite well, and some very slow twist barrels stabilize minie balls while being like 1:78.

A modern bullet mold from Lee Precision will cast a .401 diameter slug at 145 or 175 grains. This mold is intended to be used with a lead alloy when casting, and it allows for the cooling of that alloy, so what it would give you using pure lead is unknown. I'd venture to guess that it won't shrink enough to allow it's use in a .40 barrel, but I have no idea until an actual comparison is made.

You might also contact Lee Precision and see if they can make a swaging die for you to swage the cast .401's down to about .398 if pure lead doesn't shrink down enough. A Custom mold can be had at $175.00, but the nice thing for a swaging die would be any lead .401 bullet could then be sized to fit your barrel.

LD

Back