• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Same powder, different container...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use Goex products and mostly FFFg. It comes in a black plastic "jar" type container. A new jar has a sealed ring over the opening, under the screw down cap. It has a date on it that I suppose is date of manufacture.

The other day I found some Goex, FFFg in the "flat" metal can. There were two of them that were said to be "unopened". I have not opened either yet. I did weigh them and they weigh within a few grains of one another. Obviously this container style is older.

Is there anything "sealing" the opening under the cap? Should I expect the same performance as my Goex FFFg that came in the plastic jar? Is there a date on the metal can somewhere?

Thanks

Its the same powder. They just came out with plastic container's a few years ago. If I remember right there is no sealing ring under the cap. The cap does have a bit of cardboard inside the cap.

It may or may not shoot the same as your new stuff. Depends on when it was made. The Mad Monk has documented many ups and downs of Goex quality over the years.

In any case, it will be as good now as the day it was packaged.

I you look at the metal cans, they were rolled to seal and crimped on the top and bottom. They would unfold in a fire and the blast would be negligible. The plastic is pliable and will stretch and expand but I'm not sure of the blast potential of them.

Black powder doesn't blow up in a fire, it burns rapidly. First hand experience. Even had a full powder horn burn through with no explosion.

Latest posts

Back