• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1851 Stuck Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update!

So I've been to the range a few more times and have a few more observations. As with most firearms, a little use lossens things up. It still sticks a bit, but comes apart easily with the popsicle trick and goes together without having to hammer it together. BUT, as a couple of you pointed out.. Once that is fixed.. worry about the short arbor.. and low and behold, The Cylinder now binds on the barrel, exhibiting the short arbor syndrome.

So, It's off to the threads to see all the neat ways folks have addressed these.

Thanks to all for you help!

Generally the wedge is just pressed in with thumb pressure. If that is how you do it and the cylinder binds on the barrel then the arbor short or arbor hole too deep is it. Remove the barrel. Turn it so when installed, without the cylinder, the pinned mate surfaces miss. Check how much overlap of the mate surfaces there is. That measurement is how much needs to be added to the arbor or put in arbor hole. I used washers to create a shim to put in bottom of the arbor hole and glued it in. Once the shim is correct thickness the cylinder gap will be square to the barrel when the wedge is pressed in with thumb pressure.. Measure the cylinder gap at top and bottom to achive same measurement. Worked for me.

My Replica Arms 1861 made by Uberti has a jam fit arbor that does not bottom out. If I were to fix it there would be a cylinder gap that is about 1/16"+ requiring me to cut back the bottom barrel web where it meets the frame pins and that would take out the SN stamped there and the web would not have a smooth match to the frame anymore because of the sides and bottom of web taper out to end leaving an ugly step. So I deal with a slightly unparalleled cylinder gap.

After reading this thread I'm hesitant to buy a Uberti. Are all the Italian revovlers made so poorly?

Can you contrast this to the 2nd gen Colts? Do they also have these issues?

I don't have any Uberti cap and ball revolvers. I do have a few by Pietta and several others. They all function and most are Remington reproductions. Two are Colt reproductions. All function and have been mostly trouble free. Are they like a good Swiss watch? No, but they shoot well and several have for many years. I suspect the "poorly made" issue is relative based on ones experience with firearms and what quality one is looking for.

After reading this thread I'm hesitant to buy a Uberti. Are all the Italian revovlers made so poorly?

Can you contrast this to the 2nd gen Colts? Do they also have these issues?
Pietta has the arbor hole at the correct depth. Uberti is easy to fix just secure the proper thickness washer in the bottom of the arbor hole and it is fixed.

The "Colts" are simply Uberti parts, fitted and finished by Colt. I think later (the last) series were simply box stock Uberti shipped to Colt to have the Colt stamps applied.

I've had less than perfect fit and finish with cartridge revolvers costing 4-5x what a Uberti costs.....for $300-400 I believe a Uberti cap and baller is one of the best values out there.

20200203_180726.jpg

Just got this an hour ago from the UPS man.....$325 plus shipping from Dixie. Mechanics and fit seem good . Couple fitting dings in the brass but even mint originals I've seen showed some blemishes.

These are/were tools not museum pieces.

The Ubertis I’ve had the pleasure of owning have been consistently excellent cap guns, close behind original Colts and some second gen. Colts. I’m not familiar with later issue Piettas but I’m told that they are running neck and neck with Uberti.

I recently sold the only Pietta I recall owning, a “Shooters Model Remington” retail price nearly $1000.00, it had another several hundred in action work, fitting custom grips and finishing the pistol. It was flawless, or nearly so. Shot wonderfully well, with an action like it was on ball bearings.
099BBF8D-F945-40A7-A883-83CF56C2AE5D.jpeg
3360E0F6-2225-4ACC-819A-7BC2E5A000D7.jpeg
D922BE8C-34D8-4654-9D8B-9F44471B3027.jpeg

It didn’t fit my hand and ultimately I sold it to someone who could appreciate it.

If an Uberti has a short arbor, it’s simply remedied, if the action isn’t properly timed, sort through the dealers stock until you find one that is. Even though quality control was higher for the originals original Colts and Remington revolvers could also be shipped with minor issues.

I have an Uberti in the works right now, it’ll get roughly the same treatment as the Pietta did although the base pistol cost a third of the price of that Pietta so when it’s finished it’ll be the equal of that Remington but cost 6 or 7 hundred less.

Or... what @Stantheman86 said...these Ubertis and Pietta guns cost less than half what you would pay for a Ruger revolver, sometimes much less than half. The quality is really quite good if you compare them. You pay your money and you take your chances.

That Remington is stunning :O

Not to mention "unmentionables " but yes I've had brand new $800 revolvers fresh out the box, fail to function after 6 rounds and have to go back to the factory for repair.....

Sometimes you gotta tweak stuff.....just bought 350 .454 bullets and realized they don't fit under the rammer in my Dragoon.....2 seconds of work, slipping the base ring into my .449 sizer, leaving the top ring at .454.....bam, problem solved. I turned my frown upside down, now I can make 350 shootable bullets that will load in my Dragoon.

Back