• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CLOSED Pedersoli.54 cal 1859 sharps hunting rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
599B320C-4CA4-455C-8BBC-3C20415742BC.jpeg
6F8F4F3A-C0EF-4307-BBDD-6FF5A3F69118.jpeg
6C414219-57C7-4E96-A97F-67B8E7C082F8.jpeg
I have a Pedersoli.54 cal rifle for sale it’s in excellent condition and fired only a dozen times. My dad gave it to me and I don’t really use it. I’m asking $800 obo. Thanks

This gun is like brand new only shot a few times asking $800 obo

Attachments

• 005C2463-28A4-4D1C-982E-05942C6BC428.jpeg
    005C2463-28A4-4D1C-982E-05942C6BC428.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 9CD96252-F09B-4C31-9624-2EB6A8D7B5D1.jpeg
    9CD96252-F09B-4C31-9624-2EB6A8D7B5D1.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 2DB75BA0-F5CA-4365-9576-93F220CAB867.jpeg
    2DB75BA0-F5CA-4365-9576-93F220CAB867.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 237
Isn't that a breech loader no-no gun for here?:dunno:
The .54 caliber Sharps does load from the breech or the muzzle.
It does not use self primed contained cartridges. Instead it uses a cloth or paper cartridge that contains powder and ball or bullet. A separate musket size primer needs to be placed on the nipple to fire the cartridge. These guns were the predecessor to the later, cartridge guns that used a cartridge that contains the primer as well as the powder and ball.

A bit over a year ago the forum rules were changed to allow for guns like this to be talked about and advertised.

In addition to the Sharps there are several more breech loaders that used a separate primer like the Smith and the Merrill so we can talk about them on the forum.

Guns that use a self contained cartridge that has the primer in the case are still forbidden on the forum so guns like the Spencer, the Palmer and the Henry can't be discussed or advertised on the forum.

edit: I think the title for this ad is wrong. The 1874 date would be a fully contained cartridge gun. If this rifle is a .45-70 or a .50-70 it would be outside the forum rules.

If it is a Sharps model 1853, 1855, 1859, 1863 or 1865 it would be OK.

That said, I must ask the person who is advertising it, does this rifle use a separate percussion cap?

Last edited:
Very important transitional rifle. There was an article a few years back in the SPG Blackpowder News about a guy hunting with one very successfully. If I were born rich instead of handsome ... :)

I wish I wasn't downsizing or this one would be on the way to Larry Flees to have the breech block reworked for me. That is a FANTASTIC price for a Pedersoli percussion sporting rifle.

Why does the piece need the breech block re-worked for some reason? Or is it sound the way it is?

They are useable the way they are but tend to freeze up after a few shots because of blowby at the block. Some are better than others depending on how carefully it was fit at the factory. Even the Shilohs had blowby issues without the block mods and they are supposed to be the cream of the crop. The breechblock modification will allow it to function for many, many shots before it gets stiff. It's a common practice with the skirmish guys at the NSSA. It's still an excellent price for a Pedersoli.

Why does the piece need the breech block re-worked for some reason? Or is it sound the way it is?
Badgerfarm gave you the answer but one of the problems with the original guns was the method they used to seal off the breech to keep the powder gasses from blowing out wasn't the greatest.
It uses a floating ring in the breech block that is supposed to blow forward against the rear of the barrel to seal off the area when the gun fires. If this ring becomes stuck due to fouling it quits working. If it quits working a lot of powder gas escapes right in the area of the shooters face.
I don't know if the new fixes are a lot better but anything that can be done to seal the area has to be a goodness.

I didn't really flesh out the details of the modification done by Charlie Hahn or Larry Flees. They use different methods but the results are the same, no blowby and no lockup of the action after a few rounds. They are both very effective from my experience and well worth the money. Another detail of the paper cutter Sharps is that once you have powder in the chamber don't open the breechblock because the powder in the block will trickle out under the forearm. Once enough powder has built up the result is a splintered forearm and possibly a bleeding hand.

I still wish that I wasn't downsizing. I can't believe that nobody has grabbed this Sharps. From the photos it looks like it has a heavy barrel on it because none of my sporters have barrels that are that large. It's a great buy and looks to be in excellent shape. With the right combination of bullet, lube, and powder they are capable of very respectable long range accuracy.

1859 50 gr 1.5 (2019_12_13 02_57_44 UTC).png I have an 1859 military rifle that had a split forearm (repaired). Sent it to Charlie Hahn who not only worked magic with his modification, but he helped me understand that the rules of muzzle loading and the rules of breach loading of powder and ball were different. He worked with me through one winter never giving up until I had the rifle often shooting 1" groups (bench rested) at 100 yds. The rifle has a Vernier sight. With Charlie's device and I am sure with the other gentleman's device, these rifles are a hoot to shoot. If this rifle was allowed in the black powder season in Idaho, it would be my go-to rifle.

Last edited:
View attachment 22968 I have an 1859 military rifle that had a split forearm (repaired). Sent it to Charlie Hahn who not only worked magic with his modification, but he helped me understand that the rules of muzzle loading and the rules of breach loading of powder and ball were different. He worked with me through one winter never giving up until I had the rifle often shooting 1" groups (bench rested) at 100 yds. The rifle has a Vernier sight. With Charlie's device and I am sure with the other gentleman's device, these rifles are a hoot to shoot. If this rifle was allowed in the black powder season in Idaho, it would be my go-to rifle.
I use Hahn tubes in my carbine but am just starting out (Flees mod on the breech). When you say 50 gr 1 1/2 "loose" in tube do you mean the breech or are you loading a bullet then a tube with the powder.

Where is the gun located? Does it come with any supplies? I just picked up some supplies for rolling paper cartridges in a box lot at an auction, so what better way to use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back