• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Over Powder Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends. For some guns I do (an original Purdey SxS 40 bore that shoots belted balls) and others I don't. A lot of times an over-powder wad is needed if you are getting shredded patches. Since it's just "one more thing to have to do". I try to avoid complication if I can. ML'ers are complicated enough to start with.

I do not use them and have never seen a reason too.

I shoot pistols and light bench in line shoots and do not know of anyone who does use them.

I do use one pretty often for the first shot in the woods; but dispense with wads after that first shot.

Nope, just greased pillow ticking patch material. I don't even use wads in my smooth bore.

I let the guns tell me what they want. Most of mine shoot a little better and a little cleaner with a wad - I prefer homemade wads completely soaked with mutton tallow and beeswax, though Wonder Wads are also good.

I do have rifles that don't care about a wad one way or the other and I am happy not to bother with them for those guns.

Recently when developing loads for my .50 cal TVM Late Lancaster, I noticed variances at high powder charges. At 80 gains FFFg under a patched round ball, I was getting wide spreads in velocity. Then I noticed the patches were no longer in good shape after firing. On a whim, I added a lubed (one side, away from the powder) felt wad under the linen patched round ball. Extreme spreads dropped to under 15 fps, and SD dropped to single digits. Groups were excellent. From now on, in that rifle, heavy hunting loads are 80 grains Goex FFFf powder, lubed felt wad, bear grease soaked linen patch, and home cast .490 pure lead round ball. I have never found a load that beat that one.

ADK Bigfoot

I always use a wonder wad in all my hunting rifles especially with heavier charges of powder. I find my accuracy improves greatly with wads over powder

I had good luck with a .45 caliber rifle I had using thin fiber wads between powder and patched ball. I could get equally good accuracy without the wad if I used a much tighter patch/ball combo that required a lot of effort to load, including the need for some type of ball starter sometimes. By using the wad loading was easier with no loss of accuracy, and, I gained a barrier between lubed patch and powder when the gun was loaded for long periods of time.

When shooting for accuracy with patched ball how many of you use an over powder wad? Thanks, Piney Creek
Years ago I was hunting with a friend and at the end of the day his lube had completely soaked his powder charge. Since that time I put something on top of my powder to protect it. Not for accuracy but to protect my powder.

I use a pinch of wasp nest under my patched round ball for hunting.

Mainly to keep the damp olive oil patch from contaminating the powder charge, however I’ve been told that it helps protect the patch from being burned and helps stop any blow by ....

My gun shoots the same with or with out it, it’s just when leaving the gun loaded for several days I prefer to not take a chance on my powder getting damp...

When shooting for accuracy with patched ball how many of you use an over powder wad? Thanks, Piney Creek

I don't do it for accuracy, but after having a couple of bad deals with powder that must've been contaminated by the patch lube, I do that for hunting. I buy plain felt 50 caliber dry wads, and the loading time is not much different. I used three of those little preloaders set up with a patch ball, a wad, and powder. The ones I have have a snap cap on either end so they are easy to load and use. I carry a quick primer filled with 4F powder on a string around my neck to charge with.
I've tried using a wad in between the ball and powder at the range and also without, and I could determine no difference in accuracy. Loading time didn't seem to change much.

I use a wad over the powder in my hunting loads to protect the powder from the lube on the patch. I also use them in one particular .36 rifle that consistently shreds patches. I have scrubbed and lapped the bore in this gun, but a bore scope shows that there is some pitting down near the breech. This gun is a family heirloom, and when I got it it had a load still in it. for how long, no one knows. By using a felt wad over the powder and then a patched ball I no longer get shredded patches, and the accuracy has improved considerably. Using a wad over the powder is one way to try to improve groups in a rifle that is cutting patches or if you are using heavy powder charges.

It depends. A "wad" in my 15 bore rifle hurts accuracy. Such as an cushion wad for shotguns. However, a patch, same as used on the ball used as an over powder wad will help some guns too shoot better.
I use a wad over the powder in my hunting loads to protect the powder from the lube on the patch. I also use them in one particular .36 rifle that consistently shreds patches. I have scrubbed and lapped the bore in this gun, but a bore scope shows that there is some pitting down near the breech. This gun is a family heirloom, and when I got it it had a load still in it. for how long, no one knows. By using a felt wad over the powder and then a patched ball I no longer get shredded patches, and the accuracy has improved considerably. Using a wad over the powder is one way to try to improve groups in a rifle that is cutting patches or if you are using heavy powder charges.
I would be inclined to fresh it. I have a rifle with a 54 cal Douglas that needs this desperately. Good at the muzzle but really bad from the breech up about 12-14". Being loaded is not the problem so long as its dry and good powder is used. The problem is not cleaning it properly or being shot with highly corrosive "replica" powders.

I am not going to mess with the rifle. As i said, it is a family heirloom. To freshen it would require changing the caliber, and I want to keep it all original. Putting a 1/4" thick wad over the powder charge has fixed the patch shredding problem, and the accuracy is great.

My RB shooters are not picky as they all get a card then a bear oil soaked felt wad under the patched ball so everyone is on the same page . 45/50/54/58and.610 ball over OE 2F/3F from 30 in the 45 up to 120 grains in the .610 all shoot better/cleaner with most having patches reusable . Works for me/Ed

Back