• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Won't cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you remove the sear, pay special attention looking for a very tiny little "fly" that is in the tumbler (the part that has the full cock and half cock notches in it and rotates when the hammer is moved). This little "fly" is important so don't lose it. (I stick it on a piece of masking tape so it doesn't get lost.)

Ditto what Zonie said about the fly. Also, if the fly isn't reinstalled correctly and you operate the lock, you will probably get to order some brand new internal parts for your lock. I suggest taking close-up pictures of the lock at each stage of disassembly (especially the position of the fly) to assist in the reassembly. Speaking from experience.

In case it’s not posted earlier, first remove the lock from the gun and see if it works. If it does the problem is likely n the stock if not it’s in the lock.

I think your problem is with the sear nose and tumbler notch. They may be worn and need replacing or maybe just had too much gunk in the notch to allow engagement. If it does it again it is now a safety issue and the proper thing to do is replace both parts. I am attaching a photo of my sear and tumbler out of my .54 with a large siler lock. I built this rifle 20 years ago and have shot it a lot over the years with no problem. Then a couple of months ago it wouldn't stay cocked, then it wouldn't cock in the first place. Mr. Jim Chambers replaced both parts for me.
If it's dirt and gunk then that is the shooters fault and his responsibility to keep it clean. Every time I shoot one of my rifles I remove the lock and clean it in a sink. Run the water as hot as possible, put a few drops of dishwashing liquid on an old toothbrush and scrub it under the hot water. Be sure to run plenty of water over the tumbler area to loosen and remove any fouling hiding under the bridle. The lock should be as hot as possible from the hot water. Turn off the water and sling dry the lock a few times then dry all the water possible with a clean cloth or paper towel, then let the heat finish drying the lock. Next I take it outside and spray it thouroughly with WD-40 to help drive out any remaining moisture. With a paper towel pat dry all the WD-40 possible. Next I put a little grease where the mainspring rides the stirrup and where the frizzen cams on the spring. Then a drop of oil on the tumbler notch.
You do this and your lock will always be clean, lubricated and ready to go.

You can see from the photos that just a little wear can cause big problems.

SS850086-1024x768.jpg

Back