• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ram rod bits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure how to word this question. For my new to me (first ever muzzle loader) Lyman Great Plains .50 cal. Flintlock rifle I ordered a solid brass ram rod and a Tee handle, question is what bits does one need to use and maintain my new rifle?

Not sure how to word this question. For my new to me (first ever muzzle loader) Lyman Great Plains .50 cal. Flintlock rifle I ordered a solid brass ram rod and a Tee handle, question is what bits does one need to use and maintain my new rifle?

My strong suggestion is you buy both a Worm and a Ball Screw aka Ball Puller that fits the ramrod at a minimum. I personally would add a muzzle guide with the correct size hole to fit your brass ram rod.

Gus

+1 artificer. I would add a patch puller. All of my guns have a cleaning jag, fouling scraper, ball puller, patch puller, muzzle guide, and wool mop. If it can't be done with them, it don't need to be done.

ADK Bigfoot

You'll also need a patch/cleaning/loading jag of the appropriate caliber.

Patch jag
s-l300.jpg

worm
images

Ball puller
41A9nIJAKEL._SX425_.jpg

Note:
The ball puller and jag should both have steel ramrod threads. The threads will also have to match your rod.

For the ball puller, make sure you buy one like the bottom picture in carbon 6's post. The brass bushing will align the screw into the center of the ball for easy removal. Some ball pullers are just a bare screw, stay away from those. They usually go offcenter and will pull out of the ball due to lack of sufficient bite, or can veer off into the bore thus damaging the rifling.

Ball puller
41A9nIJAKEL._SX425_.jpg

The other really important thing about a Ball Screw aka Ball Puller is that the threaded screw part should be tapered along its length and down to the point. The one shown above is not tapered quite as much as many originals, but at least it is tapered.

You DO NOT want the threaded screw to be uniform in diameter until just before the point, as many modern wood screws are made!! What those screws can and will do is just ream a hole in the ball and not get a really good grip on the ball to pull it out.

Gus

If at all possible, order your attachment’s with steel threads rather than brass.

Might save you some headache’s down the road my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy
Hopefully he read that part of my post. I bought a brass one once and it snapped off in no time at all.
I've never broken one with a steel shank.

If at all possible, order your attachment’s with steel threads rather than brass.

Might save you some headache’s down the road my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

The attachments are threaded with steel threads, the ram rod and the tee handle are both solid brass so I think it should work out ok. . Buying almost all in one place on Ebay too, good grief can't believe I'm saying that :eek: :dunno: but that said his ad descriptions and pics read well so I'm all in :thumb:. Anyway here's his store possibly some of ya'll heard of this seller . Disclaimer I am in zero way promoting a eBayer I don't know a thing about him but the ads read well and I'm buying mostly from him :dunno:.
RamblinMans Muzzleloaders
https://www.ebay.com/str/RamblinMans-Muzzleloaders?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

The attachments are threaded with steel threads, the ram rod and the tee handle are both solid brass so I think it should work out ok. . Buying almost all in one place on Ebay too, good grief can't believe I'm saying that :eek: :dunno: but that said his ad descriptions and pics read well so I'm all in :thumb:. Anyway here's his store possibly some of ya'll heard of this seller . Disclaimer I am in zero way promoting a eBayer I don't know a thing about him but the ads read well and I'm buying mostly from him :dunno:.
RamblinMans Muzzleloaders
https://www.ebay.com/str/RamblinMans-Muzzleloaders?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
Yes, I’ve also bought many supplies from him as well. Stand up guy!!

Respectfully, Cowboy

You might also be interested in a Breech Brush. Google the name Bill Slusser. I have one of his brushes and they work very well................Chawbeef

Good tip! I googlesd found video :), but can't find a web site .

Latest posts

Back