• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black canyon powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodtic

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello the fire, Does anybody have any expereience with black canyon powder? I have some sort of old stuff and it stinks. dont know if its good or not. it burns kind of slow. I havent tried it in a gun yet.....woodtic

Never usedany ,but Sam fadala ran tests on several brands of black powder some years ago.If I recall,it had to have about 40 pounds compression from the loading rod to give consistsnt balliatics.I don't think its been sold for a few years.If it were me I'd not shoot it. :hmm:

Don't even bother with it. Dang stuff ain't worth the time it takes to pour out of the can. I suppose some of the cannon shooters could use it for salutes, but the'd half to mix it half and half with real BP to make it go off...

When they first came out with Black Canyon, I tried to tell them of the problems with it but their responce was the their powder was perfect and that it was up to the gun manufacturers to
make guns that their powder would shoot in. Their co. crashed a short time later. I can't remember which one but either Cleanshot or Clearshot was
made by that same co. I don't think it works either.

I have used almost a pound of clear shot ffg and fffg it goes off fine for me and cleans up really nice, Only the ffg does not pour well out of my traditions brass flask like the fff or other powders would. My only complaint.. I have yet to shoot much else accept pyrodex and I do not like that stuff a bit. I was eager to tyr 777 which I think replaced that powder company. or bought them out. I do not shoot as much as I want to so I am not burning a pound a month. The clear shot did better than pyrodex for me overall.

I don't think Clearshot is made anymore but I just found the chronology of the Black Canyon co.
of Whitewater, Co. They made
Black Canyon, then Cleanshot, then American Pioneer, and now Goex Pinnacle is made by the same co. All made with the absorbic acid or vitamin C base. They say Pinnacle is good but they said all the others were good to. If the real stuff is totally unavailable I can see using this stuff but if you can get black powder, it's by far the best, IMHO.

clean or clear the stuff I use to get shot good wae a little down on power but this part of Texas things rust in seconds!! this stuff left a gray ash film you didnt have to clean after 50 shots, could take it homew put in the closet and 6 months later not a spot of rust/ even SSE did a little test useing 6 or 7 powders on a metal plate, fired it up set it out side in rain ect for a month and it didnt have a speck of rust( you can guess what "P" looked like) just found the old bottel,Clean Shot. Fred

I used Black Canyon for a couple years and my experience was good - then the stuff deteriorated and pop - it would barely make the ball come out of the end of the barrel. That was the last of it for me. Went back to black powder and I ain't lookin back.

A number of years ago I went to the range and set up next to another black powder shooter.
He says "Want some powder?"
Never being one to check out a gift horse I says "Why, Thank You!" Giving me 2 bottles of Black Canyon he packs up and leaves.

I spent 1/2 hour trying to get that free powder to fire reliably and to hit the same place on the target before going back to the powder I brought with me.

It was only later I learned about the heavy seating requirement for consistant ignition.

The free powder sit on my shelf for about 2 years before I opened it again. It had turned into a large lump in the containers so I broke up the pieces and burned them in my backyard. It didn't even burn very well, but it filled my heighborhood full of smoke. Fortunatly it was after dark so no one called the fire department.

If someone offers you some free Black Canyon Powder, thank them kindly and walk away (without the powder).

Back