• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American Fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought an american fowler kit from tip curtis and am wondering where I can find more info on this gun such as pictures, maybe a blueprint? thanks, flinch

Try Tip! Give him a call and ask him what he has in blueprints and what style and time this fits.
"American Fowler" is a pretty broad term- unless we knew more about the time and place, the components etc, anything we'd say would be speculative.

Tip Curtis probably has (or can make) photos of similar guns he has built in the white.

i know tip curtis fairly will .have shoot against some .his kits are just about finished when you get it .a little light sanding and steel wool and your ready for stain .they make a beautful gun imho
curt

Hey I've been interested in building an American Fowler also. Could you email or post here some pictures of the finished product? Or post the drawings and components when you get them?
Thanks,
Taylor in Texas

Does tip curtis have a web site? Any photos of one of his kits?

Thanks, John

No, he doesn't have a web site. If you give him a call he will send you a brochure though. flinch

I think you may have his in the white gun mixed up with his kit gun. this is a kit, or parts set, barrel didn't need a whole lot to get it to set down in the stock, same thing with the lock, you do have to do a little homework though to get everything to go together though, the kit is everything I had hoped it would be. this afternoon I inlet the trigger assembly, holding the trigger and trigger guard together on the stock, while keeping in mind the distance from the sear arm from the pivot pin on the trigger, I had to cut a bit off the trigger plate so it would fit between the lugs on the trigger guard, (I am just using this as an example of what a kit involves) as it turned out I have a stiff trigger pull (but acceptable). So what I am trying to say is there is a whole lot more than a bit of sandpaper and steel wool to finish this kit. As far as dealing with tip curtis, I honestly don't think you could do better, flinch

How close is the outside of the stock to the fnished profile on Tip's kits?
For example; Is the forend squared or profiled from the lock forward?
Pipes semi inlet?

the stock is basically shaped, looks like I will have to take quite a bit of wood off to slim it down some. but the shape is there. No ramrod pipes are inletted. no entry thimble or nose cap inletted. the butt plate is inletted, or I should say cut, the butt plate is not gonna just pop in place. side plate not inletted, trigger guard not inletted. none of the holes are drilled or tapped, (lock, tang,) flinch

your right flinch i was thinking of the in the white . sorry about that. but yse tip is a really nice guy to deal with.
ymhs and friend curt

Back