• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper Camo for deer huntin?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wild at Heart,

I had my cousin dumbfounded this past August. She lives in Westport, CT and has a deer that is always in her yard every morning with her fawn. After momma drifted out of the yard I spent almost 45 minutes with the fawn. I was in khaki Dockers and an olive colored shirt. NO scent cover and nothing that resembled camo.

All I did was move very slowly and freeze whenever the little bugger looked up or if the wind shifted. When the wind shifted she'd stare right at me (from less than 15 yards) and stamp one foot to try and "spook" me into giving away my location. When the wind shifted away I'd let her calm down till I was about 20 feet away and she was totally confused. Then a bleat from Momma and she darted off. Momma was watching all the time and was probably not impressed with her girl's survival instincts.

It IS all about movement and scent although I have some high quality camo from Ravenwear. They make the warmest driest bibs and parkas around.

-Ray :thumbsup:

Hobbles,

I searched the web, and these wonderful devices are still available! Here is a link:
[url] http://www.fantasyhouse.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jpgpjml4[/url]

Note the motto on the packaging. I was dead on in my recollection!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not own any camo. But i do wash my body and clothes in scent killer soap. All deer killed were very close. I am a stickler for scent control

Pork Chop said:
Hobbles,[url] http://www.fantasyhouse.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jpgpjml4[/url]

Note the motto on the packaging. I was dead on in my recollection!

Mornin Pork Chop
I was wonderin if you could find me a different kind, I am 58 years old and my Lady is 51, With out goin into much detail, I think we need a bright orange,,

AAHHH, the wonders of Google! I searched again and found a site with a veritable cornucopia of novelties for you to choose from. They have Bubble Gum flavor, Chinese Fortune condoms, Collosal Condoms, a patch kit, and one that I am sure will suit your needs, the Glow-On condom! :haha:
[url] http://www.buckbean.com/subcat6.htm[/url]

I have seen the glow on before, but under the name glow worm. Enjoy!! :blah:

hey roundball i heard the same story about all the shiny brass so on my last rifle i went with sterling siver instead i sure hope this helps :rotf:
curly maple

Congrats Micanopy,
Nice lil' Buck there.Always great to get one with a Trad. Muzzleloader!
Stumpkiller,
Congrats on your kill and your tactics were just Awsome!
I do wear a Camo Coat,Nothin special though.I bought it for the warmth it provides for these cold Canadian Fall days in the stand.I wouldn't be caught dead without my wool pants though.Best thing ever made for sneakin around the woods.The biggest Buck I ever shot at I still hunted up to within 40 yards of him in Blaze from head to toe.My shot was a clean miss but a camp mate shot him a week later and it made the Nova Scotia Big Game Record book.

I wonder if it isn't the same deal with the turkeys and movement versus color. I was deer hunting the other day and came across a flock of turkeys. I sat on the side of a hill overlooking a ravine and watched as they worked their way down the opposite hill straight toward me feeding on hickory nuts. They obviously saw me because one of them would stop and stare at me every few seconds. But they didn't seem to care as long as I didn't move. They continued to work up my side of the hill coming toward me until I stood up to walk away. The moment I flinched they sprinted back up the other hill at full speed.

HistoryBuff

Sachem Longhunter,

I don't have any scent killing soap on hand. So I'm curious. Which do you think is worse, Irish Spring soap or natural, unwashed, dirty human smell?

HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff said:
I wonder if it isn't the same deal with the turkeys and movement versus color. I was deer hunting the other day and came across a flock of turkeys. I sat on the side of a hill overlooking a ravine and watched as they worked their way down the opposite hill straight toward me feeding on hickory nuts. They obviously saw me because one of them would stop and stare at me every few seconds. But they didn't seem to care as long as I didn't move. They continued to work up my side of the hill coming toward me until I stood up to walk away. The moment I flinched they sprinted back up the other hill at full speed.
HistoryBuff

And it's amazing how little movement it takes to put them off...I was ground sitting during last year's deer season and a flock of a dozen came scratching along right towards me...complete camo except for orange cap...as they closed inside 30-40yds and I could hear them purring back and forth, I noticed one or two would glance at me every few seconds but not hold a stare.

I had my hands in camo gloves folded across my lap, and decided to raise and lower a couple fingers at a time to see what they'd do...we're only talking about a coulple inches of movement...almost immediately one of them sounded an 'alarm putt' and a dozen heads stretched up, and almost magically they all looked at me and began scattering quickly.

Huge, beautiful, smart, wild birds...such a blessing to see them a few times every season now and even hunt them in the spring, when for 95% of my life I never even saw one or could hunt them, etc...turkeys are truly a fine example of wildlife management working.

I was at patch hill target shootin and while I was sightin up on the target I saw 5 or 6 turkeys come out in the open, They were walkin round bout 300 yds from me, I went and took the shot at the target and after the smoke cleared, the turkey were still there and just walkin round and eatin, as soon as I moved my weapon to put it down to reload it, (lil movement) they were gone, They didn't seem to mind the noise, but the movement was too much, I found that interestin,,
And them you can't get close to on horse back either, not like you can with deer,,

hobbles said:
as I moved my weapon to put it down to reload it, (lil movement) they were gone, They didn't seem to mind the noise, but the movement was too much, I found that interestin,,

They seem to know that noise won't hurt them, lots of noise in nature (thunder etc.), but things that move can hurt them. That's why buddy hunting is not a bad thing for turkey. If one shoots, the other still has a chance tot shoot, because they don't always scatter when the shot goes off. I shot one this past spring with about 6 others around, I had to scatter them to retrieve the one I shot.

hobbles said:
as I moved my weapon to put it down to reload it, (lil movement) they were gone, They didn't seem to mind the noise, but the movement was too much, I found that interestin,,

They seem to know that noise won't hurt them, lots of noise in nature (thunder etc.), but things that move can hurt them. That's why buddy hunting is not a bad thing for turkey. If one shoots, the other still has a chance tot shoot, because they don't always scatter when the shot goes off. I shot one this past spring with about 6 others around, I had to scatter them to retrieve the one I shot. Sorry, gettin off topic somewhat.

I have camo, but only wear it in the early seasons here in PA. Not because I think I need the camo but because it's thin and uninsulated and all my other hunting clothes are for cold weather! I'll wear a Woolrich red/black plaid or a Cabela's dark forest green wool jacket and light gray/sage green Swedish wool pants or Woolrich dark gray/charcoal gray pants when cold. If necessary (public land, still hunting, etc.), I'll put on a blaze vest.

Buddy of mine wears grubby, smelly, blue jeans in the early season. No attempts at camouflage or scent control. Gets a deer or two every year usually within 30 yards. He's just good at keeping perfectly still until the frizzen opens.

i have never worn camo but usually wear red plaid wool with one of those orange vests over the top but always wash in scent free soap and keep my clothing outside. this summer was working in the woods 90 degrees out sweating real bad stunk so bad could smell myself took a short walk to see what i had to do was about 150 yards from my brothers who were working with logging machinery when they scared up 2 bucks the ran towards me then slowed down to a walk i froze perfectly still they stopped1 15 feet away 1 20feet away and stood there for close to a minute then slowly walked away they never knew i was there really cool thing these bucks were twins both 8 pointers probably 16 inch spreads now in august i believe deer act differantly than they do in november.

curly maple

I use to raise Goats up until couple years ago.As far as smell I always smelled like a Goat.Plus it helps just to watch the wind.

Here in Missouri you have to wear Hunters Orange.

Congrats on the Deer.My first Rifle was just like yours.

Blue Smoke

HistoryBuff said:
Sachem Longhunter,

I don't have any scent killing soap on hand. So I'm curious. Which do you think is worse, Irish Spring soap or natural, unwashed, dirty human smell?

HistoryBuff

Ok, I mean I use a scentless soap, not a scent killer soap.

Back