• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swabbing the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't swab during a shooting session, only rarely have I ever needed to. Proper muzzle crown attention along with the correct patch and lube takes care of any fouling issues.

A good thought, Melnic.
If the jag is too big it will just shove the debris down into the breech. .
If it's too small it won\t do as good a job sweeping the debris out when being withdrawn.
Sometimes a perfectly good jag will, over time and wear, get smaller from abrasion against the sharp edged steel riffling.

On that same subject I have seen steel jags offered for sale and wonder what effect. over time they have on the rifling/

Let us know if you come up with any advice on jag size.

Dutch Schoultz

Have any of you guys measured your jag diameter and compared to your bore?
Ideally, it would be great if there was a method of figuring out how much to turn down a jag at the bench and not at the range.
as noted, in previous posts, I have seen different Jags from different suppliers have variations in diameter and shape. Some have a chamfer on the nose, some don't.
I have struggled with figuring out which one to use cause often times I can't really feel the difference between the force of pushing it in and pulling it out. I will admit that I need to spend more time one day at the range figuring that out.

what do you use to swab between multiple shots? I was using a cotton bore swab like you get in most gun cleaning kits but it seems to get caked up quick. Suggestions or pics of items homemade or store bought.

Swabbing is really cleaning, so you want to use a good cleaning patch, be it whatever you prefer. I use cut up old cotton T-shirts.
When cleaning you can scrub the bore repeatedly with the same patch, but when swabbing you only make one pass with a patch. You want to capture the fouling with the patch. when the patch has absorbed all that it can hold it needs to be replaced or flipped over before continuing. Sometimes this means that you do not go all the way down the barrel on the first pass.
Dislodging more fouling than the patch can hold onto will result in damp fouling falling into the breech. This can lead to future misfires especially in patent breeches. It can also cause a stuck patch.
I do my final swabbing stroke with speed and listen for air escaping the nipple or vent, this ensures I have not plugged it by swabbing. I am then ready to reload.

A good thought, Melnic.
If the jag is too big it will just shove the debris down into the breech. .
If it's too small it won\t do as good a job sweeping the debris out when being withdrawn.

Dutch Schoultz

If a jag is too small you also risk losing the patch at the bottom of the barrel.
Jag style is also important. I prefer a tapered shank jag over a button style, as they are more forgiving.

At some point no matter how hard we try, are Kit always breaks down. We live in the here and now and can’t escape it.
But....
I keep tilting with that dragon..... an no I don’t believe you when you say it’s a wind mill.

I just use soapy water just damp loose going down tight coming out the dry patch to clear moisture.

Yep. That is wat the original mountain men used.

I distinctly remember the Acme Windshield Wiper Fluid booth at the Ronde in in '07. They only had the blue color though. Think it was next to the Firestone horseshoe booth near the Latte bar.

I use pro shot cotton patches sized for my .54 caliber. I se a home made mix of alcohol and murphy's oils soap. I swab maybe every 5 shots when its cold, and every 3 when its humid out. No need to swab after every shot unless you're in a match.

So you feel you only need accuracy when competing in a match and not when hunting? I would think a person would want accuracy for every shot. As the whole object offloading and aiming a rifle is to place a small lead object in a specific spot on target, squirrel or Bambi it doesn't make sense to me not to do your best with every shot fired.
I guess that might make me anut case I am not criticizing blinkers its just different strokes etc,

Dutch

I use pro shot cotton patches sized for my .54 caliber. I se a home made mix of alcohol and murphy's oils soap. I swab maybe every 5 shots when its cold, and every 3 when its humid out. No need to swab after every shot unless you're in a match.

So you feel you only need accuracy when competing in a match and not when hunting? I would think a person would want accuracy for every shot. As the whole object offloading and aiming a rifle is to place a small lead object in a specific spot on target, squirrel or Bambi it doesn't make sense to me not to do your best with every shot fired.
I guess that might make me anut case I am not criticizing blinkers its just different strokes etc,

Dutch

Dutch
Cant remember your recommemdation on water soluable oil I think 6 to 1
Thanks

I seem to recall that Dutch used 7 parts water to 1 part water soluble oil. Dutch recommended trying ratios from 5 to 1 to 8 to 1. Ultimately it was in the testing that you would determine which ratio of water and oil that you would use.

ANYWHERE BETWEEN 6 TO 1 AND 8 TO 1, DEPENDS ONWHAT YOUR RIFLE DESIRES.

DUTCH

Dutch
Back in 2005 I talked to you about this, because my son and I were going to Friendship so he could compete in the Junior National Championship. In the weeks before he shot about 100 rounds at 25/50 and 100 yard targets using 7 to 1 patch lube I think.(havent looked it up yet). He shot an old CVA .50 CAL Mountain rifle. He won the Championship.when we went to shoot his 100 yd bench match we were between some old timers with there heavy bench guns. They kind of snickered at what we were shooting cause other juniors were shooting their dad or grandpas bench guns. My son shot a 42 and it was a windy day. They showed him a lot of respect when he finished and we were leaving. Your patch lube delivered the most consistant shots. Far better than any other lube. Thanks again Dutch.
Larry and Cody from SW Missouri

I'M NOT SURPRISED BY YOUR POST. LARRY,
WERE THOSE SHOOTS OFFHAND OR BENCH REST?

YOUR POST IS MORE WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ON THE FORUM.

MY SYSTEM CONTINUES TO BE HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL BY THE PEOPLE WHO BORROW BITS AND PIECES HERE AND THERE BUT HAVE NOT WORKED WITH THE COMPLETE SET OF IDEAS.

I DON'T LIKE TO DISCUSS THE SYSTEM ON THE FORUM AS THAT OFFENDS THE PEOPLE WHO ARE IGNORANT OF WHAT IT CAN DO.

POSTS LIKE YOURS ARE PRETTY MUCH MY REWARD FOR CONTINUING MY BREAK EVEN BUSINESS,

DUTCH

Dutch
Back in 2005 I talked to you about this, because my son and I were going to Friendship so he could compete in the Junior National Championship. In the weeks before he shot about 100 rounds at 25/50 and 100 yard targets using 7 to 1 patch lube I think.(havent looked it up yet). He shot an old CVA .50 CAL Mountain rifle. He won the Championship.when we went to shoot his 100 yd bench match we were between some old timers with there heavy bench guns. They kind of snickered at what we were shooting cause other juniors were shooting their dad or grandpas bench guns. My son shot a 42 and it was a windy day. They showed him a lot of respect when he finished and we were leaving. Your patch lube delivered the most consistant shots. Far better than any other lube. Thanks again Dutch.
Larry and Cody from SW Missouri

I'M NOT SURPRISED BY YOUR POST. LARRY,
WERE THOSE SHOOTS OFFHAND OR BENCH REST?

YOUR POST IS MORE WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ON THE FORUM.

MY SYSTEM CONTINUES TO BE HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL BY THE PEOPLE WHO BORROW BITS AND PIECES HERE AND THERE BUT HAVE NOT WORKED WITH THE COMPLETE SET OF IDEAS.

I DON'T LIKE TO DISCUSS THE SYSTEM ON THE FORUM AS THAT OFFENDS THE PEOPLE WHO ARE IGNORANT OF WHAT IT CAN DO.

POSTS LIKE YOURS ARE PRETTY MUCH MY REWARD FOR CONTINUING MY BREAK EVEN BUSINESS,

DUTCH

Dutch,
The 25 and 50 yard targets were off hand and of course 100 bench. We practiced at home . All yardage was bench just to make sure all shots were consistant. They were.he is a good shot no flinching his eyes stay open thru the shot and he follows thru after each shot.
Consistant with powder,balls seating,swab between shots. But it takes a lot of practice. But it pays off. Lets not forget the lube.
Larry

Back