• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello, and a Twist Rate Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJinPa

Pilgrim
Reaction score
First off I'd like to say Hello.
I've been tinkering with BP for a couple of years now, and wanted to step up too a longgun in the flinter group. I've seen a lot of whats out their, but I am still unsure of what to purchase. My funding is semi tight ($550-), but (of course) I want the best I can get for my buck. I'm Seen Pedersolis' Pennsylvania Scout Standard Flintlock mode, and love its apperence. But the twist rates have me wondering what the best twist rate for a rifle with a 44" barrel that is wanted for shooting round, and buffalo balls? They offer 1:34, and 1:47. I'd like the opportunity be be able to shoot conicals, but is the 1:32 to fast for a ball round?
Have any of you shoot this gun, or would it be better for me to get a more traditional true long gun flinter?
:master: thanks

but is the 1:32 to fast for a ball round

In my opinion, yes. But it is the rifle's opinion that matters. A twist that fast should dislike faster round ball loadings, but may do fine with lighter loads. Twist depends on caliber, larger diameter round balls prefer slower twists. The 1:47 is slow for a .32 but fast for a .54. Round ball twists will run from 1:66 to 1:80 in the .50 to .54 bores. T/C uses 1:48 for most, and some of them shoot very well with round balls. I have two that do (.50 & .54), but the .50 gave me fits finding an accurate powder & patch combo for a hunting load. I finally did, though.

Never tried a Buffalo Ball so I defer that to others.

That 1:47 twist would shoot both the conicals and the roundballs. The 1:34 would be an excellent conical shooter but would only shoot roundballs with very low powder charges. Otherwise, the ball would jump the rifling and be less accurate.

Traditional roundball rifles with slow (1:66, 1:72) twists are ideal for the roundballs, but can shoot only very short conicals. The longer the bullet the faster the twist needed to stabilize it. You can raise the muzzle velocity to put more spin on the conical, but you have to use lots of powder and be able to deal with the recoil.

I have TC Renegade with a 1:48 twist that shoots both very accurately. If you want to shoot both types of projectiles well, and want that Pedersoli rifle, I'd recommend that you order it with 1:47 twist.

Jimbo

Thanks for the info peeps. Glad I found this discussion group. Learned tons reading threw here. You all really lead me in the 1:47/1:48 twist rate direction, and from what I've found searching Davide Pedersoli & Co seems to be one of the few affordable marketers that sell a long gun with this twist rate. Beside custom builders that is, and they are too pricey for me immediatly. Are the pedersolis' worth the money? Are they acurate rifles? I don't know anyone thats has one to get feedback from locally.
Gues down the road I'll just have to start crafting, and pieceing a better longrifle together on my own. Lots of learning there to do :hmm: .. haha.
Thanks for the info.
DavidJinPa :peace:

Hello David
Yes the 1 to 47 is a good combination twist, however I my personal preference is that you pick a twist that is the best for either ball or conical. Not a combo type. My 50 cal. 1963 CVA Penn. is 1 to 66 in 41 1/2 inch barrel. It shoots RB as good if not better as any thing I've seen. It hits at all ranges consistently out to 100 yards. If you want to hunt traditional or mixed that is a personal choice. I or anyone else can only tell personal preference... :results: :m2c: :hatsoff:

The Pedersoli Frontier/ Cabela's Blue Ridge rifle is very accurate. It has a good, large lock, that throws lots of sparks. It has a 39" barrel with a 1-48 twist and comes in .32, .36, ,45, .50, and .54 cal.

Back