• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Club butt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it, when I see people talking about "club butt", I envision a photo taken from the rear showing six overweight women sitting on small folding chairs while one of them is raising her hand and saying, "I nominate...." ?

That would be a severe example of "Club butt".
:hmm: :hmm: :shocked2:
:rotf:

We had sitters for the kids that we called "The Butt Sisters" I believe they were in that club :idunno:

CLEANED out the fridge, they ate even 2 week old meatloaf left overs, we had to take any good stuff with us in a box in the trunk. Now THATS RECOIL :shocked2:

In The Book of Buckskinning IV there is an article by Charles E. Hanson, Jr., Smoothbores on the Frontier. He shows this gun, described as "New England trade gun (circa 1680) from the Abenaki Indians of Maine".

Spence

Has anyone had any dealings with The Rifle Shoppe lately?
I have tried several times to contact them via phone and email and no response at all.
Wondering if they're still in business?
Thanks,
Zach

colmoultrie said:
Ah well, then this Leonard Day Dutch trade gun must be a "little girly-man's fowler" (heavy SNL-mock German accent). It only has a 42" bbl in .62 cal.

P8162237.jpg
From my research of club butt fowlers and in Tom Grinslade's "Flintlock Fowlers - The First Guns Made in America", they would refer to something of that caliber as a boy's musket, but typically the barrel length was still around 48" for that caliber.

Regardless, it sure is a nice piece you have :thumbsup: as Mr. Day makes nice arms!

I'm lucky to have picked up a matchlock (same length/caliber - fishtail stock) from him before he turned the business over to his sons.

I really like that book. I have more fowlers than rifles, and it's a great resource. It's a must-have book if you're a smooth bore shooter.

Im getting ready to make a couple but slightly different. One will be a wheellock conversion the other a doglock.

img007.jpg

8852_14_50.jpg

Both will be carbines

Back