• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buttplates

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Who do you prefer to get your Brass Buttplates from ,for best quality & price?

Quality or price.....pick one.
Reeves Goehring has the best quality, best selection. All cast from originals.

I get all my parts from The Log Cabin Shop or Track of the Wolf. generally speaking, the more I spend, the higher the quality.

Dane: I still can't get past how amazing that last rifle you posted looks :bow: :shocked2:

Depends entirely on what type of buttplate I have to have. :wink:

Track of the Wolf, Muzzleloaders builders Supply, Dixie Gun Works, The Gun Works, Stonewall Creek Outfitters. Most all of the wax cast parts are cleanly cast, occasionally they are hard bronze rather than soft brass, which is a bummer. Parts by Reeves Goering may be more expensive, but are the best, historically accurate and always soft brass.

Hi.....Reeves Goehring's tel. no....717.684.2022. Sometimes Reeves is hard to get a hold of....and he doesn't have a catalog. He sells a lot of his brass at shows. The brass he uses is the most malleable on the market. ......Fred

Hi...that's a list of parts compiled by someone on ALR other than Reeves. It can be very confusing buying brass from Reeves by telephone....no pics of his products. The list clears up this problem somewhat, but not completely.

A few yrs ago I talked to Reeves and because I had forgotten the no of the TG I wanted, he sent me 2 BC TGs and I shipped one back. Not a good way to do business, but that's the way it is.

I buy my BC Bplates from Dru Hedgecock and at first only had a little trouble getting the right one from him. These small businesses don't put out catalogs and I was fortunate that Dru only had one BC Bplate......Fred

Touche Fred, I submit :surrender:

you knew I couldn't resist sinking my teeth into the "doesn't" part of your original post

then you waited for me to take the obvious internet bait

then waited till morning to chop my knees off

I learned my lesson

:bow: :surrender: :bow: :surrender: :bow:

Actually, that is not a list compiled by an ALR member but appears to be an actual printed price list Reeves had at shows to hand out. That one is very out of date pricing and Reeves has asked those who posted same on boards to remove it as his prices are always dependent upon foundry costs.

Reeves has the best brass but buying from him is possibly the most complicated of any vendor if you don't know exactly what you want {no pix}....except if you buy from him at the Eastern shows where he has the actual items displayed. Don't know where the list originated, only saw it on ALR, along w/ some other sheets that weren't from Reeves, but his prices surely have skyrocketed....foundries charge extravagant prices because there's so few that do this kind of small lot casting. It's not only Reeves....brass part prices from all the vendors have skyrocketed and some of the increase is due to much higher brass metal prices....sheet brass is also very high priced.....Fred

Don't know if "this stuff" is still around, but it "ages" a lot different than yellow brass. Was told it is some sort of bronze alloy which TOW advertised as an investment cast brass Bplate...some yrs ago.....Fred

Capt. Jas. said:
Reeves has asked those who posted same on boards to remove it

Oh, I didn't know that, I pulled it off of somebody else's photobucket who had a section devoted to Reeves and his products so I thought they were connected somehow; I do not own a copy of it myself, and will not post it anywhere else out of respect. thank you

Commodities prices in general (like aluminum, zinc, copper, iron, etc. ) have come down substantially the last couple of years. Not so much so for these very small lots of them we are buying.

Though Reeves certainly has some very fine product, I'm not so sure he's the most digitally proficient person out there.

Back