• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dry Beans ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
colorado clyde said:
Woo..Hooo! I got 2 bean pots for Xmas.... :grin:
Baked beans, here I come..... :haha:

Well!, I finally got around to using one of my bean pots I got for Xmas.

The beans were fantastic....every bit as good as store bought...(better IMO)
Beans, onions, homemade maple syrup, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard powder, and black pepper...., Cover with water, cooked in the oven for 7 hours.....yummy....I even tried beans on toast for breakfast, a classic dish of the period. :thumbsup:

colorado clyde said:
I even tried beans on toast for breakfast

I put my baked beans on toasted English muffins, really good

this is a bit of a side note, and nobody believes me until they try it: putting a little bit of ketchup into a bowl of soup and then stirring it in thoroughly will give it a really nice tomato base flavor. used to see an older gentleman do it at a mom and pop diner all the time, thought he was crazy until I tried it.

Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
colorado clyde said:
I even tried beans on toast for breakfast

I put my baked beans on toasted English muffins, really good

this is a bit of a side note, and nobody believes me until they try it: putting a little bit of ketchup into a bowl of soup and then stirring it in thoroughly will give it a really nice tomato base flavor. used to see an older gentleman do it at a mom and pop diner all the time, thought he was crazy until I tried it.

So you have been watching me eat lunch? :grin:
Before I retired, I ate at a mom & pop a few times a week & had a "mousetrap" sandwich (yeah, I had to ask the first time I ate there - it was a grilled cheese made with slices of both swiss & american - a better mousetrap) and a cup of homemade navy bean soup - which always seemed to taste better with ketchup. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Satx, Ya got me goin. "they feed me on corn bread and beans Lawd, They feed me on corn bread and beans, They feed me on corn bread and beans Lawd Lawd, an I ain't gonna be treated this a way.

Evidently, the most common cornbread that was served to the Texican Revolutionary forces was HOT WATER cornbread, which is simply cornmeal & salt dumped into boiling water & stirred until it makes a thick putty-like semi-solid.
(The Texas rebels seldom had milk, eggs, etc. to put in other sorts of cornbread.)

Take a handful & pat it out into rounds of the size that you want & fry in hot grease until the patties are golden brown.
(I usually use lard & bacon grease mixed for this recipe & serve it with HOT pickled pepper sauce.)

The pepper sauce in this case is nothing more than ground hot peppers (I use cayenne) mixed with white vinegar & allowed to stand for a couple of weeks.

In the 21st Century, most Northeast Texicans mostly eat hot water cornbread with fried catfish, bowls of Caddo-style green tomato relish (as a side-dish!!) & fried potatoes.

yours, satx

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think peanuts ever got the bean name per say. Pea was used and is still used at times for bean. Black eyed peas, wiperwill peas as an example. Navy beans were often called navy peas or ships peas in old records. Peanuts being a legume that grows looking like a bean plant. They drop and grow the 'nut' underground . I like goobers, and boiled roasted and fried. I grew peanuts but could eat a row while I was harvesting. :wink:

Being from New England north of Manchester/Portland any local restaurant not offering backed beans as a side at breakfast will fail in few months.

The favorite bean is not navy beans or the small white beans but are Jacobs cattle or Solider beans baked as usual.

I love baked beans, I have eaten many. My wife makes the VERY BEST. Don't know her secret.

Back