• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tongue anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTdeerhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I've had this before, but this is the first time that I made it myself. I do all of my own butchering because I want to make sure that I utilize as much of the animal as possible. Long time lover of heart and liver but was never sure on the tongue.
Looking at the size of the tongue on an elk made me feel wasteful, so I did some calling around and got a recipe to try.
It was awesome! Served warm on a cracker with our homemade horseradish! Ended up using our 4 deer tongues as well this year. This experiment was a success, makes me wonder what else could I use??

I've had beef tongue, but not any game tongue. A number of years ago when we butchered a beef, my wife cooked up the tongue and we sliced it for sandwiches. It was okay, but I was the only one in the house that would eat it and it got old eating it after a few days.

I'm like you though, I hate to see things go to waste.

Don't tell anyone what it is, that's the secret. I think some of the mountain men shot buffalo and just ate the tongue. Most delicatessens used to have it, usually smoked and sliced thin.

I like tongue, beef tongue I roast at 250-75 in a pan with about an inch of broth in the bottom. Cook it about 40-50 min per pound. Deer tongue I like to broil until the skin blisters, pick it off, dice the meat sauté in olive oil onion mushrooms and chopped deer meat equal to the tongue in weight. Then cover with beef broth and simmer for a few hours. Add a cup or dry red wine and noodles ( I eat a low carb diet now so my noodles are a high protein lasagne noodles broke up.) serve like a thick soup.
You can add potatoes or dumplings instead of noodles, or add a little flour and milk making the broth in to a country gravy and serve it over bisckets ot hard bread.

The last (beef) tongue I made was simmered for an hour or so in salted water with a bayleaf (or 2) and some black peppercorns. It disappeared faster than 18 year-old scotch...

I have never left an elk tongue or heart in the woods. A real delight in elk camp. Tongue I boil until the skin is removable then slice and gently fry. Heart I slow fry. Some of the best to be had.

I simmered mine in Worcestershire sauce, red wine and chicken broth (I raise chickens for eggs and meat so its always in the freezer) for a few hours, the skin peeled right off, then back in the broth to sit until it is time to eat. Remove from broth, slice and it really does have that pot roast consistency. Going to try the other recipes y'all brought up....too bad its sooooo long till deer season :(
I wonder how many squirrel tongues it would take to make a meal??? :confused:

Beef tongue is the finest grained/textured beef you can get and enjoy. One other of my favorites is beef heart and rice baked together.....yuuuuum!

Rick

Although I don't have any experience with it personally, I watched a food channel special on traditional barbacoa. They essentially scraped all the flesh from the face and other commonly seen as undesirable parts off of a cow, chopped it up with seasoning, and cooked it up for tacos and tortillas. Venison being leaner than beef, I wonder if this would work if cut with pork fat?

We are used to just clean cuts of meat, sending the rest to dog food and peperoni. Back in the day people didn't think about wasting meat that was 'ucky'.
Unfortunately we miss a lot. Liver is my least favorite, and kidney I have to chop and add to a broth. I never developed a taste for sweetbreads. Lights, lung is mostly tasteless and I've only had it in a sob stew. Eyes ears and testicles taste good, but I'm just uncomfortable eating them. And that is only education :(

tenngun said:
Back in the day people didn't think about wasting meat that was 'ucky'.
(

it was two very modern Hispanic gentlemen cooking it up. If I recall correctly, they scraped that head clean, muscle, connective tissue, tongue and eyeballs. chopped it up over their stove/grill, seasoned it, and cooked it slow and low. Probably want to do some research on this before trying.

weird how certain parts of the animal went out of style over time. Ribs for example was considered low class until the South taught us how to cook them, now they are the most expensive part. I believe this is where the phrase "living high on the hog came from", before ribs, the higher you got up on the pig, the better off you were doing in life?

tenngun said:
Liver kidney Lights, lung Eyes ears testicles (

you are much braver than I am, the farthest I go in eating is eyeballs and anus: and that is only in modern store bought hot dog variety.

my grandfather grew up in the great depression, and he used to tell me that if you were lucky enough to have a chicken, nothing went to waste: his family considered it good luck if you got the head in your soup bowl because you could slurp the brain out like an oyster, and he was not kidding when he told me. I remember hearing somewhere that eating an animals nervous tissue (brains and spinal cord) is very dangerous, will have to look that up one of these days from a reliable source, but I am in no hurry to try either.

Yup, mad cow. First known cases in new geniue. Came from eating the dead as part of funeral service. Help keeps the deceased soul in the tribe. Used to love brains and eggs. Love sob stew, but don't like most of the stuff that goes in it. Love head cheese.

We use ground venison in tacos all the time. No extra fat needed. We stretch a pound of venison by adding 4 to 6 ounces of refried beans, fat free. We did this with the ground beef, and one day I tried the venison instead of of the GB and it was just fine. The tacos are less greasy, and the cheese one adds to the taco adds enough fat for the person dining.

LD

Back