• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the Revenant this afternoon. It may not be completely historically correct, but it is a good movie. I would recommend that you go see it.

I saw it today and it was a good movie with some very strong performances by the actors.
Not sure how much interest will be generated with the younger generation though.. :hmm:

It's doing well at the box office. better than some expected. Maybe it my spur some interest in the old MLs and steer some people away from the inlines. I'm not going to hold my breath my I'm hopeful.

Saw it on the big screen tonight; here are my observations:

OK...just saw "The Revenant" on the Big Screen tonight...opening night around here.
Well, they get a "A" for effort. They made the wilderness seem like a badass place to be even on a good day as a fur trapper (which it was) and made you realize how fragile life could be out there (which it was).
My biggest gripe? I think they did a huge disservice to Hugh Glass.
First, I don't think they ever mentioned "Hugh" through the entire movie...just "Glass". Glass who, you might wonder if you didn't know, because nowhere did I see or hear any mention of a reference to Hugh Glass, or even "based on a true story". Totally mum on the whole subject that it might actually be based on truth and/or historical fact.
And of course, Hollywood had to twist the plot and add stuff that wasn't there.
My worries about DiCaprio being able to carry the role didn't come to fruition...he didn't shine as Redford did in "Jeremiah Johnson", but he didn't bomb, either. What disappointed me the most was Hollywood's concentrating on Glass's need for revenge, more than a need to survive. And there was little in the way of explanation of the plot, either...which I won't go into detail as many of you probably want to see it without any "spoiler" discussions. Those will have to wait...for now.
However, if you do intend to see this film...please, please, do a little research on Hugh Glass so you will know about the real man and why it was so important to tell his story (which, truth be told, they DIDN'T. They told A story).

I have not seen it yet , next Saturday for me , BUT GUYS IT IS A MOVIE , it is to entertain the viewers not to be a doco on Glass , HIS LIFE OR TIMES ,for most people 2 1/2 hours of glass crawling across the frozen waste of SD would not be worth watching ,most of the movies in our time zone are off on the HC/PC thingy when they did do one our way it was a huge flop for every one but us (Gods & Generals ). If most of you can stomach John Wayne in the Alamo then this should be easy .FYI the shortend bess type trade gun was all over the world and as cheap as chips by the 1820s , British traders were unloading them every where , the wars in France and all over the Empire had wound down and surplus sold out of service and capture guns were available at realy low prices ,the pick of the litters went to the colonies and the rest onto the open Trade Gun market as CAV.types and as Trade modified guns

CaptainKirk said:

OK...just saw "The Revenant" on the Big Screen tonight...opening night around here.
Well, they get a "A" for effort. They made the wilderness seem like a badass place to be even on a good day as a fur trapper (which it was) and made you realize how fragile life could be out there (which it was).
First, I don't think they ever mentioned "Hugh" through the entire movie...just "Glass". Glass who, you might wonder if you didn't know, because nowhere did I see or hear any mention of a reference to Hugh Glass, or even "based on a true story". Totally mum on the whole subject that it might actually be based on truth and/or historical fact.
My worries about DiCaprio being able to carry the role didn't come to fruition...he didn't shine as Redford did in "Jeremiah Johnson", but he didn't bomb, either. What disappointed me the most was Hollywood's concentrating on Glass's need for revenge, more than a need to survive. And there was little in the way of explanation of the plot, either...which I won't go into detail as many of you probably want to see it without any "spoiler" discussions. Those will have to wait...for now.
However, if you do intend to see this film...please, please, do a little research on Hugh Glass so you will know about the real man and why it was so important to tell his story (which, truth be told, they DIDN'T. They told A story).
I feel your pain. It's not as realistic as say Star Wars or some of these other so called entertainment movies, but I liked it. Furthermore, it was led by a Captain and they refer to people by their last name...

CaptainKirk said:

:thumbsup: +1

I totally agree - my enjoyment of the movie might have been clouded by my intimate knowledge of the area in question - and my own "mini" Hugh Glass experience on that very river, along what might have been the route the 1823 expedition may have taken - 2 yrs ago.

I was impressed by the overall "look" of the mountain men in question and the realism of the gear - much better than any previous film of mountain men than before

I saw it last night with my son in law and two older grandsons. No one fell asleep and they enjoyed it. I did too, but had to set aside my knowledge about mountain men and SD. That is not like most movies where one has more than average knowledge about the subject of the movie.

Now, I think we will all go to the range and shoot muzzleloaders as soon as the weather warms a little.

The theater was full, so that is good.

If they were to make a movie about John Colter, in which the Lewis and Clark Expedition was filmed traveling through the Sonoran Desert, and William Clark was killed off before they reached Baja California, that would be about the equivalent of this movie, historically speaking.

As entertainment, though, it was pretty good.

Now where can I get one of those single barrel two-shooter flintlock pistols?

Does it strike anyone as a bit weird that a protracted discussion is taking place about the historic accuracy of the tale of a man most historians believe was at least a great teller of tall tales and more probably a great liar? The amount of actual, verifiable information about Hugh Glass is apparently minimal, only the bare bones of the tale. A large percentage of the details of the tale have been added, either by Glass or numerous others as the tale was retold and retold down through the years.

A highly questionable tale converted to a legend and on its way to becoming a myth, and I guess a war will be fought one day over the "facts". :grin:

Spence

Thank you :bow: you said it best. I'm sure none of us lived in that time frame and I know my Pappy never spoke of him :wink: ...

I saw it yesterday. Good movie and the gear carried seemed to be pretty accurate.
Except... during one of the scenes a guy in the background of the shot primes his pan using one of those push to prime type pan primers that most of us use these days.
I just happened to catch it and feel so "nerdy" for bringing it up... :shake: :wink:

Kansas Jake said:
Or the scene where Glass is stalking and the hammer is cocked on his gun, but the frizzen is open.
Yep, I caught that one too. :thumbsup:
We are so flintlock "nerdy"... :wink: :grin:

Well went to see it today. Got to say decapeio did s real good job inspite of my reservation. Was there stuff to nit pic? For sure. Pacific north west don't look a lot like upper missiouri steep. I had to chuckle when half starved glass walks away from 500 lbs fresh dead horse meat. Horse will fill your belly as well as buff.
Howsomever it was just two hours and a bit of movie fun. It will go in my film library. Do wish I had his twice fireing pistol :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back