• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left handed firing of zouave rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I test fired an antonio zoli 58 cal carbine said to be a zouave replica with a 24 inch barrel. Looks like my 54 cal deerstalker. on firing I get interesting black powder marks on my right forearm not quite burns as the hammer has an open front. I think I may be using too much powder as the musket cap nipples are breaking up. I use a 45/70 govt case as a powder measure. It holds 75 grains weight of powder. What would a normal charge be for this rifle behind a lee 500gn minie?
Regards browndog

I shoot a '53 Enfield 3 band rifled musket left handed the original load for it is 68gr ffg (2.5 drams) with a 530 gr minni. the barrel says 3.5 drams black powder only (about 96 gr). 75 gr would be in that range for sure. I have never been burned, or blackened from left hand shooting, and 75 grains does not sound excessive. I wonder if there is a hammer or nipple issue or the musket caps do not fit the nipple tightly. I am only aware of one size of musket cap, but there are several brands, I use RWS mostly.
my double barrel 12 gauge does burn me. it actually embeds powder granules under the skin, which look like black dots, I always wear long sleeves when I shoot it and usually a guantlet on my right wrist.

The service charge was 60 grains of 2f behind that mini and that's all you should need to put the bullet straight through a deer. You'll find your most accurate load around 35 to 45 grains if you have a properly sized mini and good lube. It's quite possible you need a good replacement nipple like an Ampco with a smaller flash passage. The nipples that came with these guns were junk. The Zouave was considered a rifle and as such it was manufactured with a 33" heavy wall barrel. If the barrel is any other length it isn't a reproduction Zouave but a fantasy gun.

Some folks prefer the #11 caps for these muskets.
Just replace nipple.

turns out its a zoli Buffalo hunter and has a spare no. 11 nipple in the patch box. I will try this combination when it stops raining.
Thanks all browndog

browndog,
Definitely pull the nipple and take a look through it. The hole is likely larger than optimum to prevent powder tatoos.

Too bad nobody makes a nipple hole peening kit to get a few more shots out of them. I've often thought that a spot of GTAW and trip to the drill press might be worth trying.

Had a look at the nipples provided. Both taper from about 3/16 inch at the base to normal at the hammer. I think I will fill with weld and drill a 1/16 hole and see if it does better. Getting new nopples here is like finding rocking horse poo.
Regards browndog

Khufu said:
I shoot a '53 Enfield 3 band rifled musket left handed the original load for it is 68gr ffg (2.5 drams) with a 530 gr minni. the barrel says 3.5 drams black powder only (about 96 gr).

Correct - Two and a half drams IS the service load. The larger load is the proof load for that arm, as found on ALL the Parker-Hale-made .577cal Enfields, including both of mine.

The original Minié bullet weighed ca.535gr.

tac

browndog said:
Had a look at the nipples provided. Both taper from about 3/16 inch at the base to normal at the hammer. I think I will fill with weld and drill a 1/16 hole and see if it does better. Getting new nopples here is like finding rocking horse poo.
Regards browndog

Want me to send you one? I need to know who made your Zouave, though.

tac

The documentation that came with my PH Musketoon states that the service load is 3 1/2 drams with a 536 gr bullet, but that is has in fact been tested with 7 drams and a 724 gr bullet! Ouch!

Back