• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Lyman GPR observations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airborne1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got my .54 cal percussion today. First impressions are overall favorable. Inletting is not perfect, but then again it isn't bad either. The rifle doesn't feel as heavy as I expected, and it shoulders and points well for me. The metal is blued and nicely finished. The stock and the sights I'm not thrilled with. The stock is dark, dark, dark! The rear, adjustable sight doesn't seem very stable (the notched blade is easily moved and I doubt its repeatability). The front sight is so thick, there is barely any light between the front notch. I will need to do something about that. All in all though, I am pleased with the rifle! I plan to add a finish to the stock (not a refinish at this time) and upgrade the sights. I have accessories ordered so I will start on the stock. What sight upgrades would you recommend for someone with 66 year old eyes? Thanks for any replies.

Congrats!

I got a similar rifle in flint (Investarms Hawken, same folks who manufacture the Lyman GPR).

The front sight on mine has a bead of sorts instead of a blade. Having shot a few with the blade sights, I prefer the roundness. The different shapes make it easier to line up if that makes sense. I'd venture to say the rear sight is the same as well. (Mine doesn't seem to be too secure but I put several rounds through it and it held up.)

New GPR's used to come with an additional fixed "primitive" rear sight as standard, your rifle did not? This standard fixed rear sight has served me well, shame if Lyman is no longer including it. I think TOW sells it though.

The adjustable rear sight is worthless, in my experience, of the 4 GPR's I have owned the adjustable rear would not hold windage or elevation. Try that standard front sight first, I like having a big fat sight, easier to focus on, and it has served me well hunting and one the range.

I refinished one, browned the barrel and refinished the stock, I like how it turned out, and it is not difficult to do.

airborne1 said:
What sight upgrades would you recommend for someone with 66 year old eyes? Thanks for any replies.

Are you interested in historical or period correctness? Are you going to be competing in events that restrict certain types of sights? If not, a tang peep (Lyman sells a good one) and a fiber optic front will have you seeing just fine. Even without the fiber optics, a peep will have you seeing any sight better.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/receiver-sights.php
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/fiber-optic.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm most interested in hunting deer, so I want something that gives a good sight picture. It does not have to be historically correct. I haven't shot peep since my military days back in 1966. The area I hunt is thick and light fades fast, so I don't know if a peep would work.

airborne1 said:
I'm most interested in hunting deer, so I want something that gives a good sight picture. The area I hunt is thick and light fades fast, so I don't know if a peep would work.

My primary (really only) interest in shooting is hunting. I use peeps with a .125 or even .150 aperture hole. With a .125 I can see in the woods from 1/2 hour before sunrise to a 1/2 hour after sunset. Tiny aperture holes are definitely not for hunting, IMO, at least not in my environment. I want to be able to see from first to last legal light. In fact, I can see better through my peeps than I can see through a fuzzy rear sight slot in dim light.

If you want to test the concept, just take a thin piece of cardboard bent in a "L" shape and cut a .125 hole toward the top of the "L". Tape it to your tang about where a tang site would sit and look through it. That should give you a good feel for the sight picture you'd have.

Lyman's peep comes with two rings, one has a wider aperture for hunters. Check them out on Lyman's website.

Jamie

Spikebuck, Jamieorr,

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check in to it. I did shoot "expert" with the M-14 and peep sights a long, long time ago.

Airborne, once you get your sights sorted out, be sure to give your barrel a chance to break in. I have found GPRs get more accurate with use. Years ago, Ross Seyfried wrote an article for the long-gone Blackpowder Hunting magazine on breaking in a GPR barrel by lapping it with some purple Scotch Brite on a ramrod. I tried this with one of my GPRs and it seemed to help smooth it up.

I just bought the Lyman tang sight and front globe sight for mine today. I just got done installing them and I'll try it out tomorrow. My GPR is new also. I got it for Christmas and I haven't shot it yet, but hope to in the morning. A good way to start out the new year! :grin:

Other than the flimsy adjustable rear sight, which I installed a fix sight on mine. The front trigger guard screw is very short and can strip out very easy in which I did on mine unfortunately. The rear trigger guard screw is alot longer. I fixed the problem with the front trigger guard screw by ordering another rear one and installing it in the front, so now both trigger guard screws are the same. Problem solved! Other than that I think it is a well built muzzleloader and will serve you well. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

I just bought a Lyman Trade rifle barrel for my Deerstalker and it has the primitive steel sights that you have to adjust by drifting the sight in the dovetail. I have not shot it yet but it drops right in. I love those primitive sights on it because it has a deep rear notch and a high front sight allowing to hold up more sight or hold up less sight. I never had a primitive type sight and am looking forward to getting it dialed in. I like the looks of them a whole bunch better than the fiber optics that came stock on the Deerstalker barrel.

The front sight that you suggested is a great front sight. Have one on my Invest Arms Hawken. If I might recommend, mix some quick-set epoxy and dab a small bit of it each place the fiber optic plastic intersects with the metal housing. The plastic will break and piece of it will fall out unless you secure it at each intersection. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Alright, I got to do a little shooting with it this morning and I was real impressed! I only can shoot about 30yds in the back yard right now, but it gave me an idea how it shoots. I was using 3f BP and I was getting clover leafs from 30gr up to 70gr. I didn't see any need to go higher than 70gr at 30 yds. The aperature sight works great for fine target work with a globe sight on the front, but would probably be too dark for low light hunting conditions unless you had a fiber optic on the front. I really like this rifle! :grin:

Boomerang said:
The aperture sight works great for fine target work with a globe sight on the front, but would probably be too dark for low light hunting conditions

One year I tried a globe front sight for hunting. It didn't even make it through the whole season before I pulled it off. Too restrictive of a field of view at very close range and too dark in low light.

Back