• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Uncle Mike's Hot Shot nipples. They are getting hard to find, since T/C bought them out. They can sometimes be found on ebay. I have also used Spitfire nipples. I have heard that Ampco nipples are also very good.

It appears that nobody has mentioned this yet. Ramrods and their attachments come with two different sizes of threads depending upon the manufacturer. In my experience, the 8-32 threads that many sets come with are all right for breach loading rifles, where you are never pulling a ball. However, those sets with the larger but less common 10-32 threads have about twice the strength in tension.

Indeed. Hoppe's sells adapters, too. They're pretty handy to have since most packaging doesn't have the thread size written anywhere

I have a GPR and the Plains pistol. I can fit a 10-32 jag into the ram rods but the jag that comes with the guns will not fit into a 10-32 ram. I think that the threads are metric.

Thanks for sharing. Apparently most of us were not aware of that.

10-32 threads are very close to the metric threads on your GPR. The difference is that the 10-32 is slightly smaller in diameter. If you get a stuck patch when using a 10-32 jag on your ram rod, you can easily pull the jag out of the ram rod ferrule. It is best to replace the ram rod ferrule with a 10-32 one. Be sure to pin it to the rod.

I got a new GPR last week and the cleaning jag will not fit on the TOTW delrin rod I bought for my CVA Hawken or TC New Englander. The jag fits the factory GPR RR fine.

Only shot five rounds out of it so far. Initial thoughts:

It is heavy! 50 cal, 1/60 barrel.
It is well made.
It is 'rough' enough to feel authentic, but not too perfect to feel mass produced.
I like it!

Mike

There are two standard American thread sizes for ram rods and accessories. An 8-32 and 10-32. The major diameter on an 8-32 is .164" and a 10-32 is .190" The thread pitch (from one thread to the next) is the same on both which is .0313".
The two closest metric sizes are M4x.7 and M5x.8. The major diameter on the M4 is .158" and the M5 is .197". The thread pitch on the M4x.7 is .0276" and on the M5x.8 is .0315". Therefore the 10-32 would fit in the M5x.8 and be a little loose, but the M5x.8 might be too tight to fit in the 10-32.

GPR rod probably has metric threads.

Use a good range rod. Use jags that have steel threads not ones turned from one piece of brass as the brass thread will break leaving a dutchman in the rod and usually a jag in the bore. All my CF rods use 8-32 screws so that's what I use on MLs too.

Latest posts

Back