• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opusnight

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to properly store my BP, and while I hear and read about a wide variety of options, it seems like building my own storage bin / magazine for the powder is the best option. But there again, I get lots and lots, and lots, of opinion. And it is wildly different no matter who I talk to! I am leaning toward taking a Stack-On pistol-size safe and lining it with plywood. Thoughts on the effectiveness of said creation? Or something better? Looking for safety first, of course.

was told by a fire investigtor from Phx that black powder stored in cans isn't "explosive", at not least catastrophically so, and would just whhooosh if ignited and not to worry? I dont believe him though. I store mine in the gun cabinet and tell all my fireman friends not to go upstairs if there are flames!

Yeah, it's the scenario I dread: fire breaks out, the firemen don't go in because of the possibility of explosion; then I have the insurance company refusing to pay out... You can imagine the nightmare it could cause. At least that's my worry.

azmntman said:
was told by a fire investigtor from Phx that black powder stored in cans isn't "explosive", at not least catastrophically so, and would just whhooosh if ignited and not to worry?

He is correct! I have put it to the test.....
Best way to store is in the original container and separated from each other.
Remember! powder that is confined, explodes.
Also heat and flames rise and water seeks its own level.....good things to know... :grin:

An old refrigerator with a padlock is a good choice for a powder magazine. In case of a fire the insulation will keep the cans from getting hot.

:hmm: .......... :thumbsup: I now am searching for a dorm size fridge for my upstairs office that I can store the powder in the freezer (OFF) and the coors (banquet) in the lower COLD! Wife is gonna sqeal but I have choosen my battles for years and am due to win one "soon" :shocked2:

Well I've done demonstrations with smokeless powder and black, ignited on a wooden board, yes the black burns a whole lot faster, BUT....,

When confined in a steel can, it is confined. Now I don't know about the new fangled plastic containers, but in a metal can, OR made into paper cartridges inside an military ammo can...it does "pop" those containers pretty fierce....I've never done either with a full amount, it was a demonstration as to not being careless in leaving an empty metal container lying about with residual powder.

You need to also check your local laws. For example many states and some counties/cities restrict the amount of powder you may have inside your dwelling for "reloading" purposes, and by type of dwelling. So often you find that an apartment building (check your lease agreement too) has a higher restriction than a town-home, and a town-home has a higher restriction than a single family dwelling.

Have you considered one of these "Prepper" Storage Cans if you have a house and not an apartment? They will hold five of the old style steel cans used for BP, seal well, and are outside the home.

LD

Double walled steel refrigerators with padlocks, High-impact polypropylene plastic storage containers.. :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:
Boy am I glad I don't live next to you guys..... :youcrazy:

By putting your powder in "other" reinforced containers, to protect against fire, You guys are creating "the worst possible scenarios".
:shake: :nono: :slap:
If I were a fire fighter....I'd want it to be the first thing that burns up or the first thing to be doused with water....

:haha:

The container I suggested wasn't for protection of the powder from fire....it removes the cans from the home to comply with local laws if need be, and as the thread writer was concerned about a home fire with the firefighters getting skittish...., the container is plastic because one wants to keep the powder dry, if one is storing outside.

As for fire rescue folks out our way.... they don't take a homeowner's word "none of it's confined"....a person says they have any sort of components or ammunition stored, and the firefighters treat it all like you have fixed ammunition that's going to "cook off" at any minute, and they contain your house fire so it doesn't spread...but they don't enter to fight the fire if all the humans have escaped.

LD

:haha: Fire sprinklers anyone ?

The fire department isn't going to save anything anyway....and the foaming agents will ruin all your guns, unless your safe is air and water tight....

Good points all, thanks. If I store it out in the barn nearby, in an air-tight container to keep out humidity, is there a concern about keeping powder in air-tight containers? I read different things about potential for combustion from dust accumulating ala some of those factory fires/explosions you read about.

You really do need to talk to your local Fire Chief or whoever is in charge of your FD and not spread undue fear.
The fact is they don't worry about powder or ammo in a house any more then your spray deodorant, the wife's hair spray or rattle can spray paints or live ammo. They don't walk into a burning house without protective gear.
There are videos out there from SAMMI with Firefighter endorsement; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

I am limited to 10# in my city, a friend 1 mile down the same road that's outside the city limits can have 25# and other townships in the same county have no rules and folks can have the 50# that the state requires.
Lease rules for Apts and Townhouses are insurance liability driven and mandated by the Insurance companies, these are from Lawyer perceived ideas not any real threat.

There are dozens of threads about powder storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen,
The safest, and most efficient way to store you gun powder in in an insulated ice chest! The ice chest keeps the same temperature summer or winter. God forbid you have a fire when the tins start to burn the pressure created will blow open the lid of the chest--No explosion , just rapid burning!

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory
USCG 1957-1968, Dangerous Cargo School Port Chicago (San Francisco). COTP, LA/LB
been there done that :thumbsup:

Irish Mick said:
Gentlemen,The safest, and most efficient way to store you gun powder in in an insulated ice chest! The ice chest keeps the same temperature summer or winter.
That would be a good one, and keep the chest on the floor in a small closet that has a closed door.

There is/was a commercially produced magazine that was a steel box on a hand truck. The lid had a latch for a lock.

Them fellers with refrigerators and freezers with locked doors, ooh baby, fireworks on their block!

Ever wonder why the M1 Abrams has blast panels over the shells? To keep the whole tank from cooking off.

As for me and my house, we use simple wooden crates that even a young lady could carry or drag to safety. While sized to hold 30lbs each, we are limited by state and federal law to 50lbs total. If none of us are home to remove them during a fire, they'll just go whoosh and not kaboom.

Also, if you have a propane grill on the back deck that has as much explosive potential as hundreds of pounds of black powder.

Back in the early 80's there was a warehouse in Buffalo, NY that had an accident where a propane tank was being moved and the valve was snapped off. They evacuated the warehouse and called the fire department. When they arrived the fumes found an ignition source. The blast leveled the warehouse and several buildings nearby, threw a full size ladder truck 35 feet, killing five firemen aboard, and damaged buildings four blocks away. Shattered windows 1/2 mile away.

That was a 500 pound size tank and it demolished a 20,000 ft^2 warehouse as well as the surrounding block. So your typical 22 pound tank may only take 1,000 square feet off your house.

There are LOTS of explosive and dangerous things. Do you keep gasoline in the garage? Wasp & Hornet spray? Paint thinners?

Worst explosion I ever had was some Petit 216 solvent for bottom paint that I had used to clean up a spray paint gun in my basement and had a pile of paper towels near the door (which luckily was cracked open) that I was going to take outside. They went off in a fireball with a "WOOF!" and cleared cobwebs out of our whole basement. Not to mention my eyebrows and arm hair!

Like a dummy I was working with it near our wood-fired boiler for the baseboard & water heater. Needless to say that thinner stays outside the house.

Thanks for the Tip Necchi,

You really do need to talk to your local Fire Chief or whoever is in charge of your FD and not spread undue fear.
The fact is they don't worry about powder or ammo in a house any more then your spray deodorant, the wife's hair spray or rattle can spray paints or live ammo. They don't walk into a burning house without protective gear.

As a law enforcement officer in my county for more than a quarter century, I've never had the chance to discuss any of this with my local firefighters, their officers, or the fire investigators. I've never been on an active fire site in all that time either.

LD

Back