• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flinter lock opinions wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While nothing can substitute for actually holding the rifle, you can "roughly" determine some of the measurements based on the picture as long as you know at least one measurement.

In this case we know the barrel is 42" long. So I took your pic and scaled it. I use this technique to make a pattern for a rifle I want to build if I have nothing but pics to work from.

The resulting measurements will give you "some idea" as to how it might fit. Yes, it's crude, but knowing the approximate LOP and drop at the heel should at least help you decide if it's a "maybe" or "it won't work for sure".

rifle_zps6a70noii.jpg

Al Rittenhouse said:
I understand the not in hand and hard to know if it fits. Im hesitant to offer for fear of getting it and not liking the way it shoulders. Buying online is tough unless one has had a gun in his hand before. But I do like the 54 caliber part. Al

I would buy the gun as long as you are sure the barrel is in good condition. Even if you don't end up liking the fit, a simple refinish and a little judicious shaping and you can easily get your money back. You maybe able to get a few of hundred more if you do a real good job of reshaping and finishing. It has good parts and reasonable bones and architecture that can be easily made into a real nice looking rifle.

This is a nice rifle, well made and good looking. It's not museum quality but few of us require that. If the bore is good it is easily worth something in the $800 range. I know I'd be proud to own it.

That's some impressive methodology right there. Seriously, good work :bow:

That rifle looks to be one of Tracks Early Tennessee Rifles. Parts alone are over 700 bucks shipped to your door.
The assembly is good and the built in architecture is very good. IMHO it's a bargain for $1000 and a super deal for less.

I will give you my 2¢....

Yes it's made from parts and it's a mix of Southern Mountain and Tennessee rifle. While the wood could have used some additional removal, it's not bad.

The lock mortise seems rather tight which is good, and I've seen far worse mortises on much higher priced rifles at Track...I like the edges of the lock flat and side plate flat to be sharp and the rifle looks like they've been rounded.

While Green Mountain makes accurate barrels, that rifle is going to be a bit nose heavy with a 42" straight sided barrel. The relationship between the touch hole and the lock look correct, and the metal finish on the barrel and the lock look like they are alright.

So for the price....I'd buy that....though a lack of a photo of the bore is a tiny bit troubling...so I'd buy it on condition of my inspection of the bore. I would not pay more than $999.00 including shipping and insurance. If it cost more than that I'd consider buying a Kibler Kit and finishing the rifle myself.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
I will give you my 2¢....

Yes it's made from parts and it's a mix of Southern Mountain and Tennessee rifle. While the wood could have used some additional removal, it's not bad.

The lock mortise seems rather tight which is good, and I've seen far worse mortises on much higher priced rifles at Track...I like the edges of the lock flat and side plate flat to be sharp and the rifle looks like they've been rounded.

While Green Mountain makes accurate barrels, that rifle is going to be a bit nose heavy with a 42" straight sided barrel. The relationship between the touch hole and the lock look correct, and the metal finish on the barrel and the lock look like they are alright.

So for the price....I'd buy that....though a lack of a photo of the bore is a tiny bit troubling...so I'd buy it on condition of my inspection of the bore. I would not pay more than $999.00 including shipping and insurance. If it cost more than that I'd consider buying a Kibler Kit and finishing the rifle myself.

LD

I agree with everything that you've written, but keep in mind that the Kibler is going to be .32-.40 whereas this rifle is a .54, so the OP may have a lot more interest in this one if he's looking for a large bore. I sent in a sweet looking piece of wood for a Kibler kit in .40 and I can't wait to get it.

I would buy it, on the condition I could return it after inspection, unfired. Bore inspection being my main concern. Looks like as nice a gun as you would get from TVM. BJH

I saw that rifle for sale. Did you purchase it? Has it sold yet? I'm not interested, just curious if it sold and for what price.

Not surprising and probably a good buy for the person who bought it, but probably also not the deal of the century or anything you should lose sleep over. Thanks for the update.

Honestly? Its stained with a synthetic and finished with a plastic based finish by the look of it. To look right it needed another color added, experimentation and some knowledge as to what the color should be. OR use traditional Nitrate of Iron stain which is completely color fast and the right color will be produced on any given piece of Maple. A SMR might not be stained at all back in the day anyway just oiled with a dark linseed oil or more likely a coat of "brown" oil varnish.
The sanding leaves something the be desired. Lots of blurred edges, the lock panel especially. Inletting is slightly loose, but serviceable. Stock not fully shaped to the metal at the forend cap and surely elsewhere. All precarved stocks need some wood removed, some need a lot of wood removed but often people don't take it off.
The big plus is the GM barrel and to me its major. Its actually made of a decent alloy and grade for the use, most ML barrels made in the US are not. Still the breech needs to be pulled and examined to see of its properly done, but this applies to barrels breeched by the barrel maker as well. The vent liner seat needs to be checked too I have seen them leak powder gases through the threads. It appears the have good triggers and the lock should be good. To me the color and workmanship really hurt the value.
Finally, since the parts for a gun can cost more than 900-1000 from someone who KNOWS ML making, like Chambers or Kibler. So I guess (grudgingly) 1000 or so is not out of line if the things noted are not of concern. Its still better than the factory made stuff being imported and it does have a Green Mountain barrel these are now almost impossible to find. The twist for a 54 will be 70 inches. They load a tight ball patch fit easier than many and shoot really well with some load development. But may take 100 gr or more of powder to shoot well.

Dan

P.S.
Should have read farther down the thread. Selling price was good I think. I am supposed to be doing a newsletter so I suppose I better get to it.

Back