• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Took the .32 out Sunday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Shots were 25 to maybe a bit over 35 yards. Missed one twice then moved to a new spot and settled down and aimed :redface:
2 shot in the back of the head, one, the middle one, I hit just a bit low & took most every thing above the shoulder.

.311 patched round ball, 20 grains of fffg. The rifle loves that load......the rabbits not so much.

Very, very nice that's enough for a couple of meals of fried rabbit ,gravy and some potatoes and carrots. :thumbsup: Btw, that looks like some beautiful country!! :thumbsup: .

Sean Gadhar said:
...the middle one, I hit just a bit low & took most every thing above the shoulder.

I been known to do that myself now and then! :rotf:

If yours looked like mine when skun out, it will have you vowing not to do it again, as well as dropping your charges in search of a little less blood shot. I would have blood all the way back past the shoulders with 20 grains of 3f, losing a whole lot of eating meat in the process. Puts a 22 LR to shame for what it will do- more like a 22 WMR hollowpoint in my experience.

I got all the way down to 10 grains with stellar accuracy, better even than at 20 grains. It still kills like crazy, but without the meat loss. No apparent change in POI out to 35 yards with my rifle, so bonus points. :thumbsup:

Nicely done Sean, congratulations! That .32 looks like a Crockett, is it? I have been shooting 20 grains of 3Fg in mine but I'll have to try 10 grains. Keep yer powder dry......robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really wanting to get a jack or two they are really big in this area. But they hold up tight mid day and I was not hunting first light or last because it was the last day of a deer season and I didn't want to be in the way :idunno:

BrownBear said:
Sean Gadhar said:
...the middle one, I hit just a bit low & took most every thing above the shoulder.

If yours looked like mine when skun out, it will have you vowing not to do it again, as well as dropping your charges in search of a little less blood shot. I would have blood all the way back past the shoulders with 20 grains of 3f, losing a whole lot of eating meat in the process. Puts a 22 LR to shame for what it will do- more like a 22 WMR hollowpoint in my experience.

I got all the way down to 10 grains with stellar accuracy, better even than at 20 grains. It still kills like crazy, but without the meat loss. No apparent change in POI out to 35 yards with my rifle, so bonus points. :thumbsup:

Mine too, i head shot a few tree rats and it is WORSE than a .22 mag hollow point! I was shooting 15 grains as thats what i filed site down to. Incredible!

Spike,

This time they would bolt out almost at my feet, then run 50, 60 yards. Stop a tic then move 5 or 10 yards. If I waited until they had made that 2nd move, then I could move up and cut the distance by a good 1/3 . If I moved too soon they bumped another 200 yards or more.

:idunno: But sometimes they sneak, other times they bust out at 40 yards and never stop running.

If there is snow I spot and stock , but without it I almost never see a bunny until it moves at least a little.

azmntman said:
BrownBear said:
Sean Gadhar said:

Mine too, i head shot a few tree rats and it is WORSE than a .22 mag hollow point! I was shooting 15 grains as thats what i filed site down to. Incredible!

But that same load is way too wimpy to kill a Turkey. So says Colorado DOW. Even Double the powder would not get it done........or so they say :(

LOOKS like a goodly mess of chicken-fried bunny with home-fried potatoes, cathead biscuits & cream gravy soon coming to me.

yours, satx

quote:
But that same load is way too wimpy to kill a Turkey. So says Colorado DOW. Even Double the powder would not get it done........or so they say :( [/quote]

i shoot alot of woodchucks with my 32 out to 100 yards with 30 gr of 3f and a prb. i think a turkey would be in big trouble with that load!

State knuckleheads are full of it. Got at least 5 old Texas long beards with 10 grains of FFG in the old Cherokee through the years, High frontal neck or spine shot and they're down for the count! Idiots!

These wizards of smart who are in charge of making the rules have no sense of history. They haven't a clue as to how game was taken before they came along and saved us from ourselves.

Nice wabbits btw, sure make for some good chow and nice pelts!

Add to it the horror stories that come to them when some of these "never shot one but daddy had a .22" wonders in the woods end up shooting every cow and other hunter out there, and it's not hard to see where many daffy regulatios have come from. Toss in the lack of hunting skills in themselves and the percentage of "anti-hunters" working in the hunting culture and it's hardly surprising what comes out of many state houses! :wink: :doh:

Back