• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Historical BP cleaning writings?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jferguson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there any period written references we can read and study where the old-timers discussed the amount of time, effort, and techniques they used just to clean and maintain their BP weapons? Just seems hard to imagine they did all the effort we have to do today, ON TOP OF all the other work they had to do just to survive. Anyone know of anything on that topic? Thanks.

The only thing i have ever seen on the cleaning of blackpowder guns back in the day is in my great grandfathers Civil War Diary. He makes mention of a kettle of hot soapy water used to clean their guns.

Okie Hog said:
The only thing i have ever seen on the cleaning of blackpowder guns back in the day is in my great grandfathers Civil War Diary. He makes mention of a kettle of hot soapy water used to clean their guns.

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Did he say it was a daily task, or weekly, or any more detail? What state was he with?

Here's a little piece that was contained in a letter written by Christian Oerter a gun builder at the shop in Christian's Springs dated 19th September, 1773.

(excerpt of letter published in American Tradition Magazine, winter 2014, Vol 5, number 1 - to give credit)

"At your request I have prepared a good rifle and sent it. The Rifle is decorated with silver wire and well made, as well as tested and shoots right well. It has double trigger, so that you can fire either cocked or uncocked. Between the triggers there is a screw with which you can make it easier or harder to fire. There is also a ball puller together with a screw with which you can pull the ball out no matter how rusty it gets. She costs Eight Pounds all together.

Now, from the bold portion I ask you. Does it sound like they (collectively) spent any kind of time cleaning and lubing barrels they way we "obsessively do" today?

Do you routinely clean and oil your hand tools (wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers)? or are they "just tools" that get nothing more than the most minimal of care unless there actually is a problem (like when your needle nose pliers are rusted tight so you give them a squirt of WD40, work them a couple times until they loosen up and call it good).

It "seems" that guns (tools) back when were treated as that - tools..

Old Virginia Joe said:
Are there any period written references we can read and study where the old-timers discussed the amount of time, effort, and techniques they used just to clean and maintain their BP weapons?
Good question.
I can't remember seeing anything about civilian/common folks going into any detail,, but I imagine somewhere there has to be some written military manual of the time. Didn't the Red Coats have to keep their Bess's bright and shiny?

Instructions to Young Sportsmen in All that Relates to Guns and Shooting, P. Hawker, 1846

pg. 47 “Let your barrels be first washed perfectly clean with cold, and then fill each of them with hot water; which by the time it has nearly run out at the touchhole, will accelerate their being wiped dry, as much as though boiling water had been used; and before they have completely discharged the water; stop the muzzles and touchholes; and after shaking it up and down in the barrels, turn it out at the muzzles, by which means you will effectually stir up and expel any extraneous matter that may have lodged in the bottom of the chambers.
“I have recommended washing guns with cold water, from having found that it always more readily removes the foulness occasioned by the powder, which, from sudden heat, is apt, at first, to dray and adhere more closely to the caliber: whereas with cold water, it remains in a moist state, and immediately mixes.”

Spence

necchi said:
Good question.
I can't remember seeing anything about civilian/common folks going into any detail,, but I imagine somewhere there has to be some written military manual of the time. Didn't the Red Coats have to keep their Bess's bright and shiny?

From Cuthbertson's System for the Complete Interior Management and Oeconomy of a Battalion of Infantry

“ the inside of the barrel, though not expected to be absolutely polished, should yet be bright”

and

“It is absolutely necessary, that every Soldier be furnished a Worm and a Turn-Key, else it will be impossible for him to clean the inside of the barrel of his Firelock, in the manner which ought to be expected”¦.”

The problem with these quotes is that it does not say HOW to clean the barrel.

A Soldier Like Way explains the barrel was washed out with water and then a piece of rag or tow was wrapped around the worm to swab it out. Soldiers were issued a "Tin Oil Bottle" and no doubt oiled the inside of the barrel as well.

OK, so what happened if the bore became rusty, spotted, or "other than bright?" Besides the Soldier getting punished and probably fined, I have yet to run across a quote on that. I speculate the Soldier used "flour of emory" (or maybe even brick dust) on a piece of oiled rag wrapped around the Worm, then washed it out, dried and oiled it.

Gus

David Thompson’s Narrative of his Explorations in Western America 1784-1812

Discussing events in the Hudson's Bay area, late 18th century:

“The same evening Wm. Budge, a fine handsome man, John Wellam, and the Indian woman were frying pork and grouse for supper, [when] the smell attracted a Polar Bear, who marched to the Tent, and around it, his heavy tread was heard, and no more cooking thought of. As usual in the evening, the fowling pieces were being washed and cleaned, and were then not fit for use, but there was a loaded musquet.”

Bouquet's March to the Ohio, the Forges Road (From the Original Manuscript in the William L. Clements Library), edited by Edward G. Williams: The Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. p. 103-4.

Morning orders from Wednesday Septr 5th, 1764

“After the Arms have been drawn & fired off they must be washed clean and remain unloaded till further Orders."

Spence

Writing down how and when to clean your gun, to them, was probably akin to writing down how and when to sweep your floors. Everybody did it and learned it as a child, so why waste time writing it down?

From Duanes Handbook for riflemen...1812

The greatest care should be taken in preserving the interior of the barrel clean, and the lock-careful shooters wipe out with flannel or a clean cotton rag, at every 8 to 10 shots,others 20; no iron instruments should be used in cleaning; the spiral brush of hog bristles should be used to scour with hot water; the woolen brush composed of layers of wool, alternately placed across the opening of a piece of hickory, split 4 times, to a length of about 6 inches; the ends of the wool make an excellent brush. After washing clean and drying, the inside should be lightly touched with oil.

Back