• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharon Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
I have a chance to buy a Sharon Barrel but would like to know a little about it first. Its a .50 barrel that is 30" long and 1" across the flats. I do not know the twist rate but would like to know. It has a patent breech with a cleanout screw. Also would like to know about H. Sharon and the Sharon Rifle Barrel Company, out of Kalispell Montana. I also know that they offered completed rifles and would like to know their over all quality. Any information would be much appreciated and helpful. Respectfully, cowboys1062

It's a barrel.

I will shoot better than most of us. Most would not shoot it better or worse than it's contemporaries (Large, Douglas barrels etc).

Most would not shoot it better or worse than a (new) barrel from Green Mountain or Rice etc.

Regardless of the cult followings (with Sharon, Large etc) barrels being produced today are better finished and probably (technically) better built due to technology improvements - no saying they ARE better shooters, probably just better built.

A 1" ATF 50 cal is going to be heavy compared to other 50's which can be found on 15/16" or even 7/8" barrels.

If the price is right and you have a use for it, grab it up.

Unlike others, I would NOT pay a premium for one of these (or any vintage barrel).

The crowd that even remembers the names is getting old and/or vanishing and taking the premium with them.

The day is coming when everyone who wants a "large" barrel will be able to have half a dozen because the "supply" will far outstrip the demand, and then those "premium priced barrels" will be worth next to nothing.

(I'm thinking that Oregon Barrel is what became of all the Sharon barrel making gear. And they are still very much in business making fine barrels)

had a 62 cal Sharon barrel on a flint trade gun. shoot like a storm. sorry I sold it. jump on it.

galamb said:
It's a barrel.

I will shoot better than most of us. Most would not shoot it better or worse than it's contemporaries (Large, Douglas barrels etc).

Most would not shoot it better or worse than a (new) barrel from Green Mountain or Rice etc.

Regardless of the cult followings (with Sharon, Large etc) barrels being produced today are better finished and probably (technically) better built due to technology improvements - no saying they ARE better shooters, probably just better built.

A 1" ATF 50 cal is going to be heavy compared to other 50's which can be found on 15/16" or even 7/8" barrels.

If the price is right and you have a use for it, grab it up.

Unlike others, I would NOT pay a premium for one of these (or any vintage barrel).

The crowd that even remembers the names is getting old and/or vanishing and taking the premium with them.

The day is coming when everyone who wants a "large" barrel will be able to have half a dozen because the "supply" will far outstrip the demand, and then those "premium priced barrels" will be worth next to nothing.

(I'm thinking that Oregon Barrel is what became of all the Sharon barrel making gear. And they are still very much in business making fine barrels)
This is a VERY wise statement :thumbsup:

Kind of in the league with "Why buy a 57 Chevy, when for the same money you can buy a brand new and better car right off the lot."

If you value older stuff and craftsmanship, go for it. If you're content to buy from the corner car lot, get on with it.

Disagree, that is like comparing apples and elephants.

We are talking about a Sharon barrel, not one of their kit rifles/a whole rifle.

I would say it's more like, would you power your new Chevy with the "motor" of a 57 Chevy?

galamb said:
Disagree, that is like comparing apples and elephants.

We are talking about a Sharon barrel, not one of their kit rifles/a whole rifle.

I would say it's more like, would you power your new Chevy with the "motor" of a 57 Chevy?

Not at all. Classic cars, classic guns and their makers. Same-same for me.

Put what you want under the hood of your new Chevy, but I'll be treasuring the 57's when your new model slides into to the crusher.

Out of curiosity, when was Sharon making barrels and when did the company quit making them?

I've heard of them for a long time but I don't think I've ever seen them.

Are they marked with any special markings so I would know one when I saw it?

The original company was owned by Hall Sharon. He was a machinist who turned to barrel making in about 1960.

There is some (rumors) out there that he supplied barrels for early T/C guns and possibly some produced by Green River Rifle Works (although others have stated that GRRW used Douglas barrels at least initially and then made their own after that).

One individual that knew Hall stated that about 1/4 of all his barrels went overseas, primarily England.

Sharon barrels were made of 12L14 steel. 45 cal and under were button rifled (he initially had issues, destroying some barrels trying to use this method "barrels exploding in front of the button", but must have cured whatever the issue was, since all 45 and under were button rifled) - above 45 were cut rifled.

I have heard of 1:48 and 1:72 twists - don't know if he cut or buttoned any other twists.

In 1976 Sharon started offering "Hawken kits" in both full and half stock. By 1978 the company was losing money so it was folded and the equipment was sold off to a company in Colorado Springs.

The equipment then went (probably) to Montana Barrels (NFI), then Orion Barrels and now resides with Oregon Barrel where it has been in use for a number of years now.

Old West Arms in California bought all the unsold kits and continued to sell them for a couple of years.

So there was a number of Sharon barrels that were sold simply as barrels and then there were a number that were sold with rifle kits.

Some have a number stamped in them along with the name "Sharon Rifle Barrel Company" (suspect from the the kits since the only numbers I have seen were both only 2 digits)

In 1981 Ronald Reagan was presented with a replica Pennsylvania rifle - it has a Sharon barrel.

In 1978 a Full Stock Hawken kit from Sharon sold for $295

(that's about all I have in my notes - ya, I keep notes on barrel makers) :grin:

So some but not all barrels made by them are marked Sharon? Are some barrels then left unmarked at all by Sharon? Greg :confused:

muzzle blasts, july 1980 page 51 , will give a listing of Sharon barrels.

Sharon made good barrels. Over the years, I have owned a couple of rifles that had Sharon barrels and both were very good shooters. I'll just second what galamb said. :metoo:

If you have a ram rod and snug fitting patch, and the individual will let you, you can easily determine the twist. The barrel is 30", so if you mark the ram rod at 12 o'clock position, and push it all the way down and the mark rotates 1/2 turn and is at 6 o'clock position, then it is somewhere around 1 in 60 twist. If the mark rotates 3/4 of a turn, to almost the 3 o'clock position, then it's most likely 1 in 48 twist.

Jerry Cunningham of Orion Rifle Barrel Co. made some fine barrels on those machines. I still have a few left waiting for the right project.

I found a 1+1/8 inch across the flats .54 cal Sharon barrel with no markings. Made it into an underhammer which shoots way better than me. Takes a 0.03 patch with a .535 RB, not a typo. :v
20150709_162614.jpg

Paul

galamb said:
The original company was owned by Hall Sharon. He was a machinist who turned to barrel making in about 1960.

There is some (rumors) out there that he supplied barrels for early T/C guns and possibly some produced by Green River Rifle Works (although others have stated that GRRW used Douglas barrels at least initially and then made their own after that).

One individual that knew Hall stated that about 1/4 of all his barrels went overseas, primarily England.

Sharon barrels were made of 12L14 steel. 45 cal and under were button rifled (he initially had issues, destroying some barrels trying to use this method "barrels exploding in front of the button", but must have cured whatever the issue was, since all 45 and under were button rifled) - above 45 were cut rifled.

I have heard of 1:48 and 1:72 twists - don't know if he cut or buttoned any other twists.

In 1976 Sharon started offering "Hawken kits" in both full and half stock. By 1978 the company was losing money so it was folded and the equipment was sold off to a company in Colorado Springs.

The equipment then went (probably) to Montana Barrels (NFI), then Orion Barrels and now resides with Oregon Barrel where it has been in use for a number of years now.

Old West Arms in California bought all the unsold kits and continued to sell them for a couple of years.

So there was a number of Sharon barrels that were sold simply as barrels and then there were a number that were sold with rifle kits.

Some have a number stamped in them along with the name "Sharon Rifle Barrel Company" (suspect from the the kits since the only numbers I have seen were both only 2 digits)

In 1981 Ronald Reagan was presented with a replica Pennsylvania rifle - it has a Sharon barrel.

In 1978 a Full Stock Hawken kit from Sharon sold for $295

(that's about all I have in my notes - ya, I keep notes on barrel makers) :grin:

galamb has most of the information correct.

Here is an old posting with some of the info that galamb cites.
Sharon Rifle Barrel Co.

This is the earliest ad (Sept 1974 Muzzle Blasts) that I have been able to find for Sharon's muzzleloading barrels, though they probably started making ML barrels some time before advertising.

74_09%20MB%20Sharon%20Barrel%20Co%20earliest%20ad_zps0srp7hia.jpg

Below is an interesting article written by Doc Carlson and published in the May-June 1978 issue of Muzzleloader magazine. It gives more detail on Hall Sharon's background and how he got started in the barrel making business. He seems to have started out making modern cartridge rifle barrels and established his reputation in that field before venturing into muzzleloading barrels.

78_05-06%20ML%20Visits%20Sharon%20Rifle%20Barrel%20Co%20article_1_zps5vsyxmas.jpg

78_05-06%20ML%20Visits%20Sharon%20Rifle%20Barrel%20Co%20article_2_zpsgmidliq4.jpg

78_05-06%20ML%20Visits%20Sharon%20Rifle%20Barrel%20Co%20article003_zpsqg8x2ihl.jpg

A company called Hayden-Holmes in Colorado Springs, CO did buy the barrel making business following Sharons's bankruptcy. In fact, it is a Hayden-Holmes advertisement that cub45 referred to in the July 1980 issue of Muzzle Blasts. Hayden-Holmes barrel making operation didn't last long as they apparently went bankrupt by year end.

The muzzleloader store, Old West Arms, that galamb mentioned having an inventory of Sharon Hawken kits was located in Lakewood, CO not California as shown in this 1979 ad from the May-June issue of Muzzleloader.
79_05-06%20ML%20Sharon%20Hawken%20kits%20-%20Old%20West%20Arms%20Ltd%20ad002_zpsvkhux41l.jpg

I'm not aware of any instance when GRRW used any Sharon barrels. GRRW first started making their Leman Trade Rifle in 1972 and their Hawken rifle in 1973. I've seen one early GRRW Hawken rifle with a Bauska barrel, which was also located in Kalispell, MT and galamb may have confused them for Sharon. In any event, GRRW started making their own barrels in 1974, about the same time Sharon started making ML barrels, and Douglas was the primary supplier of barrels to GRRW prior to that.

galamb said:

I would differ with galamb some on the "technology improvements" in today's barrel making. Outside of the CNC machines and the heat treating that Rice Barrels is using, most of the equipment barrel makers are using today is little changed from that used in the 1970's and before. I don't know what parts Rice is using the CNC machines on, but the main advantage of CNC is in saving labor in making multiple copies of rather complex parts. A skilled machinist, giving adequate time, can make the same part using 1940's equipment as a modern CNC machine with the same level of accuracy. The time it takes to make the part is about the only difference.

When it comes to the key part of a ML barrel as it pertains to shooting accuracy, namely the bore and rifling, it's pretty much the same technology today as in the 1970's for drilling the bore, reaming, and cutting the rifling. The objective is to have a bore, and rifling, that is straight, uniform, and smooth, meaning relatively free of machining marks. Skill and using the right equipment is more important in achieving this objective than improved technology.

And why is "better built" more desirable than "better shooters"?

First of all I want to thank all of you for the information as well as the pictures. It has definitely helped me in my decision to go for it depending on the condition of the whole rifle. Yes! I said whole rifle. When I started this topic I was mainly concerned with the barrel and its maker. The rifle is a half stock plains type rifle made by Sharon Rifle Barrel Company. It is not their Hawken style rifle but their Trade Rifle. Has L&R lock and single trigger. Everything is iron( No Brass) and everything is browned. As stated before it has a 30" barrel that is stamped " SHARON BARREL RIFLE CO. 50 CAL " on top flats. Outside appearance of rifle is very good to excellent in condition. The seller is a 2 hour drive north of where I live. My wife and I plan on taking the trip on the 22nd. I am going to check the bore and function of the rifle before I decide to buy it. The price he is asking is very reasonable. I sold a couple of modern firearms and now have the cash in hand to purchase it. I am sure the rifle will be capable of accuracy way better than I could achieve. I only shoot targets at the range out to 50 yards. I do not hunt anymore. If I can hit what I am aiming at I am more than satisfied even though I would like to achieve tight groups. After going over it and if I bring it home, I will post everyone some pics. Again, Thankyou for such great detailed information. It was a deciding factor. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Back