• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on Tradition's quality? I see their prices have really gone up.
Maybe the quality went up with it?

Most of the ones that I have seen and handled are junk!
They were way over priced prior to the price increase, and I'm sure that is still the case.
You can buy a good used custom made gun, or Lyman if that style suits you, for the same price or less.
Everybody has an opinion, and it is worth exactly what you paid for it!
Fred

Thanks for the reply. That's been my opinion as well, but have not looked at them for quite a few years and was hoping that they had upped their Q.C. since the choice for side locks get smaller and smaller each year.

I have a Traditions Trapper flintlock that seems well built and nicely appointed. The wood is attractive. I've put about 6 shots of patch and ball through it and it shot well.
The set trigger requires a hard pull, but the trigger feels good.
I am going to sell it only because it is a long reach from the grip to the set trigger and trigger for my small hands. Otherwise, I would keep the Trapper.
Ron

"I have a Traditions Trapper flintlock that seems well built and nicely appointed. The wood is attractive. I've put about 6 shots of patch and ball through it and it shot well.

In all honesty 6 shots is not a complete evaluation of any rifle nor does 6 shots commend a recommendations of it's quality.

"The set trigger requires a hard pull, but the trigger feels good.
I am going to sell it only because it is a long reach from the grip to the set trigger and trigger for my small hands. Otherwise, I would keep the Trapper."

You have more negatives than positives to me.

if its a percussion and you can get it cheap, its a good one to start with or as a back up. the flintlocks are junk.

canyonman said:
Maybe the quality went up with it?
I doubt that,
I never had too much trouble with them, the locks and triggers have always needed some finish work, aka; disassemble and polishing too remove burrs and smoothing out,,
But after that they can and have been some fine shooting rifles at still entry level prices when compared to custom.
Might as well complain about the cost of everything going up,, Food, clothes,, and it ain't gonna stop any time soon.

You are correct. The biggest negative for me is the reach.
And, 6 shots does not a review make. I just wanted to see if it worked out of the box.
It was my first flintlock pistol. I have since landed a really nice one so the Trapper is expendable.
Ron

Got two flinters and they work just fine.

Picked up one second hand for cheap with a plastic stock. Got a wooden stock for ten bucks. Ended up getting a octagonal to round smooth barrel for it. Now I might have to go get a smallbore barrel for it too. Yeah, it's a handy little booger and it always goes bang.

The other one was .36 sold to me, er, uh, without letting on about the ringed barrel. So now it's rebored to a .46. A 1970's Japanese drug store long rifle was my first love so I'm real happy to have something just about like way back then.

If I run upon another really cheap buy on a Traditions then I will probably do another fun gun project.

In the past I've had a couple of traditions smoke poles.... Currently I have a trapper pistol, I really like that pistol. HOWEVER, the Pennsylvainia rifle I had from them was really poor quality....the lid for the patch box would pop open and never shut correctly, the fit and finish around the lock plate and trigger guard was sloppy and finally, the flame channel must have had a small bit of blockage in it, it only would fire reliably about half the time. My 2 cents....others mileage may vary.

Traditions are made in Spain by the same company that used to make the CVA traditional guns ( I believe it is Andresia). The percussions are safe to shoot and fairly reliable. Their flintlock leaves a lot to be desired. Many local shoots have been won by people shooting them. But the overall fit is not up to Pedroseli or older T. C. 's . Remember this is my personal opinion and worth what you paid for it! :idunno:

I have a Traditions percussion in 50 cal. It is not a bad rifle, but not as nice as my 40 year old TC Hawken. I bought it cheap 2nd hand a year ago and haven't shot it much.

I had it out a couple of days ago and after I put on some low level reading glasses so I could see the front sight clearly it put three rounds touching at 50 yards. It didn't do as well before the glasses.

I was using 50 grains Pyrodex, and a patched round ball with cci caps. The patch was a pillow ticking spit patch.

I wouldn't pay big bucks for a new one, but a low priced used is a good deal. I think the one I picked up is the frontier model.

Don't you guys know he is a real stickler for his version of traditional, and will lambast you if you get out of line even half a step? Well, that is until he starts talking about his trophies from his matches when he leaves tradition behind and uses breakfast cereal in his guns. Go figure how he gets off...

I have a Traditions Crockett .32, and the fit and finish are excellent, with nice wood. The bluing is deep and uniform. This little rifle is a pleasure to hold and to shoot. With 20 grains of 3Fg, and a .31 PRB, it is more accurate than I am.........robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned two, a .50 DeerHunter (their cheapest) and a Crockett .32. Both were percussion and well fitted. I did lots of shooting/hunting with them over the 20 year span I owned them. They accounted for an impressive number of deer and squirrels. Can't speak for the prices or for their flint lock quality but I was pleased with them and enjoyed using them immensely.

Back