• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sasquatch - Mountain Man Show

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone else watched The Sportsmen's Channel hunting show "Sasquatch - Mountain Man?"

Finally a hunting show on TV devoted to traditional methods. It follows a gentleman by the name of Laramie Miller who hunts with longbows and a percussion Hawken w/pathed roundball.

In the first show, he was hunting elk from horseback and primitive camp with a friend that carried an iron-sighted Sharps. I could really tell the attitude difference between the guys in the "modern" hunting shows and these two guys. In the end, the guy with the Sharps took a cow elk as there was a good crosswind and it was around 200 yards, so Laramie knew better than to try that with a roundball. In modern shows I've seen so many guys take low-odds shots and then say "I know it was a bad setup but it was the only shot I had." Good to see someone that knows and abides by the limitations of their chosen weapon.

In the second show I watched he was alone in Alaska and took two caribou with the Hawken. Pretty cool. He also makes a new "possibles" bag in this show.

Good to see a decent hunting show for once. If you get this channel, it's worth checking it out. :thumbsup:

Watched a few episodes and liked it. Definitely the best of the hunting shows. Although in one episode he made a knife and I swear he used an entire deer leg for the handle. The knife had to be as long as his hawken.

Vomir le Chien said:
What channel and what part of the country,Haven't seen it or knew it was on??

Actually I made a mistake in my original post. It's on the OUTDOOR CHANNEL, not the Sportsman's Channel. When I had Direct TV the Outdoor Channel was part of my normal package. I have a local cable provider now and have both of these channels.

I'm attaching a couple of youtube links for your viewing pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2CDGWbwhCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6sa_ouL4k

A little background on the show:
http://outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=13173&articletype=article&key=In-the-Shadow-of-Sasquatch

I also see it listed on the channel's "Video on Demand" list, so if one has the channel, they can watch some past episodes on demand in Sept/Oct 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw three episodes- but in all three he acted like a jerk. One was when he was hunting with a long bow the other two were with his Hawkin. He does not impress me at all -- sorry :shake: . I no longer watch it.

The whole show is staged in my opinion, interesting at times but he sure isn't "living the life" as the show depicts.

On one show he was making an osage longbow, I am a bow maker with a ton of experience and could tell he didn't know squat about making a bow. No way could he have made a shooting bow using the crude techniques he used on the show to shape and lay out his so called bow.

On an osage bow you have to carefully follow one grain on a bows back from tip to tip with a draw knife or scraper. When Laramie rasped down the back of his stave with a very course rasp I knew he wasn't a bow maker.

The one show I saw similar to this was something about a guy named Mick Dodge. I watched most of one show and could tell this was all staged. They turned me away when the guy Dodge, was eating some worms that were obviously meal worms you buy in a pet store to feed your pets, and he called them maggots. Those weren't maggots.

:metoo: He doesn't impress me any. Watched him reload on a bear hunt--the bear should had ate him. Can't load worth a 'darn' from a possible bag. I find him sad and pathetic.

I guess I'm just happy to have a show with traditional firearms in use. I've watched four episodes now and I see some flaws, but in my opinion, having a show that portrays our chosen sport is better than not having one at all. I haven't seen disrespect for game on the show like I see in most modern hunting shows. Each show has some short history segments. In the last one I watched he shot a nice bull moose and it went down in about 10 steps, which can show non-traditional shooters how effective a patched round ball can be.

Personally, I'd rather support a somewhat flawed traditional show than demand perfection, reduce the audience, and end up with no show representing us at all. :idunno: We're a demanding crowd...sometimes that might work against us.

Spikebuck said:
In the last one I watched he shot a nice bull moose and it went down in about 10 steps, which can show non-traditional shooters how effective a patched round ball can be.

What amazed me was that the gun fired with no cap on the nipple! When they "reenacted" the part of him cocking the hammer and aiming there is no cap on the gun.

Spikebuck said:
Personally, I'd rather support a somewhat flawed traditional show than demand perfection, reduce the audience, and end up with no show representing us at all. :idunno: We're a demanding crowd...sometimes that might work against us.

In spite of my comment above I agree. :thumbsup:

pab1 said:
What amazed me was that the gun fired with no cap on the nipple! When they "reenacted" the part of him cocking the hammer and aiming there is no cap on the gun.

I saw that too! :rotf: BUT, when re-taking the "pull-back-the-hammer" shot, I'd rather not see a cap than see one and think perhaps the guy walks around with a cap under a lowered hammer! :shocked2: I HAVE seen that on a couple of videos online. This way, for those that notice it, it doesn't promote that unsafe practice.

i have seen probably all of the shows since it started. alot of flaws and manure, but i do enjoy watching it better than the "wanna be" inline crowd that think they are doing something great with that type of gun. wish i could hunt some of the areas that he gets to go to.

Spikebuck said:

I resemble that remark :redface: I guess there is a lot of "traditional" that might hit the cutting room floor...... :doh: But must his rifle "misfire" EVERY time I watch him hunt?

Eric has it about right I think. I see his gear, and I see his work..... :nono: That gear did not IMO come from those hands.....the thing is their is nothing wrong with that. Show what he can really make....or show who made what he has. I carry a fine rifle & with a lot of help from folks here, I might could put a kit rifle together.....but I don't have the skill to make the rifle I carry. And I'm thinking it is the same for him.

Latest posts

Back