• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel wedge issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John V.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Pietta 1860 Colt Army. My question is this.Shouldn't I be able to remove the barrel wedge by just pushing the wedge through with my fingers? I ask this because I had to use a wooden dow and a mallet to drive the wedge out.This method just seems excessive? Folks on U-Tube do it by hand with ease. I am concerned with tearing up my revolver. Any thoughts? Thanks. :confused:

After you shoot it some with heavier loads it will loosen up.

Don

Had the same issue with an 1851 Navy and an 1860 Army. Both loosened up with time. I also put a wooden dowel in my bag for removing reluctant barrel wedges.
Ron

Same here I just use a small rawhide mallet, wack it on one side and it pops loose enough for me to remove it by hand then use the mallet to put it back in place. Doesn't hurt a thing.

This is exactly what I have been doing since the late 60's. A small rawhide mallet from Tandy's - a light tap out and in - no problem - works for me :wink: .

on all my colt style revolvers my wedges can be removed with finger / thumb pressure.
first remove barrel
then with judicious use of a jewelers file
gently remove any machining burrs and lightly chamfer the edges for a smooth matchup.

then same with the wedge. very lightly and gently smooth the edges.
the tip of the spring clip as the wedge is pushed into place should just clear the edge of the barrel frame and pop up.
thumb pressure should remove it.
Never had one work loose yet.

Showtime, Your rawhide mallet idea is one I have actually entertained.I have not yet though because I guess its just a "mind game" thing. By that I mean the whole thought of hitting ones firearms with a hammer. Sounds like a common thing though so now I will get a rawhide mallet. Does anyone know if Dixie gun works carries them?

I think that situation primarily is because usually the wedge is tapped into place with a tool and then removal is attempted by bare fingers.
I carry a Popsicle stick and use the claw on the multi-use tool against the flat stick so as not to mar the bluing.

Some people drive the wedge in too tight, which makes removal unnecessarily difficult and accelerates wear on the part. They don't need to be pounded in to serve their purpose. I push them in with my thumb, and press them out the same way.
If the wedge sticks anyway, take a pocket knife ( that you should always be carrying ), and press the bolster firmly against the small end of the wedge and it should pop out.

What you have described sounds pretty standard for a new gun or one that has not been disassembled many times. Using a wood or plastic dowel (no metal) with light mallet taps to remove the wedge won’t hurt your gun any. Smoothing the edges of the wedge can be useful sometimes. Don’t necessarily remove metal, just smooth out the edges and you may notice a difference. With use the wedge will enter and remove easier.

Back