• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tieing powder measures and other?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBuckeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a correct way to tie your powder measure (carved antler) to your bag? Also, where should you attach it? Any ideas or help would be apreciated.

Thanks

The only "correct" way is what suits you the best. I tie mine to my bag strap and leave inside. Be sure to make the cord long enough to reach your muzzle. :shocked2: rifle muzzle. :wink: I do same with short starter and loading block. Downside, those thongs can catch on branches in the woods.

Is there a correct way to tie your powder measure (carved antler) to your bag?

Yep. The correct way to tie my measure to my bag is the way I do it. :wink:

Your correct way may be different than my correct way but I'll tell you how I do it.

First I put on my bag and hold my rifle like I'm fixin' to load it.
Then I find the spot on my bags front strap that is half way between the bottom of my bag and my muzzle. Poke a hole there.
Now run a leather string thru the hole from the front to back and tie a knot in the string so it won't pull thru the hole.
Next I figger out how long the string needs to be to reach the hole in my measure while I am pouring powder down the barrel while giving me a little bit of slack. Cut the string there and run it thru the measure and tie it off.
If I did it right I can easily pour powder down the tube and the measure will rest in the bottom of my bag without a lot of excess slack hanging around to get hung up on everything. :thumbsup:

BigBuckeye said:
Is there a correct way to tie your powder measure (carved antler) to your bag? Also, where should you attach it? Any ideas or help would be apreciated.

Thanks

Geez, in all honesty, tie the thing where you want it and how you wish, you are not going to have to pass inspection when mustering.

I dont think there is a correct way, but I use a convenient one. I fasten a thong to the strap of my shot bag up near my shoulder. I drill a hole through the tip of all my antler measures and thread the one I need onto the thong and tie a figure-8 knot in the tip of the thong so the measure can't slip off. When I'm not using it I tie a "crochet" knot in the thong which keeps the measure tight against the strap, but releases easily by simply pulling on the measure. The thong is long enough to reach the muzzle, and I can simply drop the measure after dumping powder, tie it up in a jiffy when I'm ready to move on.

Spence

My measure is tied to the front horn strap with a 6-8" string and is carried tucked in my belt.

Mine is on a leather strap around my neck along with a leather capper. Never thought of hooking it to the bag. I use the same lanyard for all guns and calibers so it's not committed to a particular bag. It's set up so that I can quickly and easily change out measures.

Spence, that's about the bestest and most sensible thing I've ever seen. I hate dangly floppy things on bags. Thanks! :hatsoff:

Mine cinches up on my bag strap at about chest level till needed then just pull an use an cinch it back out of the way. I tried to blow the pic up to give a better view but I not very computer smart :idunno:

I slip the leather thong through a hole in the end of horn measures and tie a simple bowline knot. And it is the only thing I tolerate dangling from either my horn or bag.

DSCN0156.jpg

For bone measures I make a copper wire loop and fit it in a wood plug that seals the end of the hollow bone. This one I doubled the leather back to form a loop and whipped with linen thread.

IM000642.jpg

I have my measure and loading block on the same thong...It is attached to the shoulder strap and they both go in the front of my shooting bag...

i'll go ahead and risk points off my curmudgeon card and agree with the overall consensus: try out a few things and go with what works for you.

having said that, I like a small pouch which I sewed into the strap of my bag. there's a 'dummy cord' which runs from the measure, through a small hole where the bottom of the pouch meets the strap - you can't see it from the front - you'd have to be looking down the pouch. the 'dummy cord' ends in a figure eight knot, so you can't pull it through the hole, and is a bit longer than the distance from the strap to the muzzle of the rifle as I hold the rifle for loading. now, when I'm done with the measure, I pull the dummy cord and this slips the measure back into the pouch. the cord hangs free, and since there's no loop, it doesn't get caught or hung up on anything.

hope this makes sense.

good luck with your project :grin:

I too will be a curmudgeon. I tried tieing it to the horn as rifleman said tangled on everything. On a strap it always came loose and banged or clacked with every step. Try it in different spots and see what works best for you. For me in the bag is quiet and handy.

BigBuckeye said:
Is there a correct way to tie your powder measure (carved antler) to your bag?
I don't.
I have no need to show or flaunt my powder measure to anyone, or have it flapping around. I keep it in my bag with the other items needed for loading and shooting.

kept one in the bag, but it seemed to migrate to the bottom. I thought about a little pocket, but was afraid of losing it.

now I claim to be unsentimental: I don't name my rifles, and I have no emotional attachment to my automobiles, but I have grown used to that little bit of hollowed out antler, and I would miss it greatly if it ended up as a chewtoy for some forest rodent. :(

I have a couple of cane measures that I made in about 5 minutes each. I cut the cane so there was a little space under the bottom node so I could drill a hole in it and put a leather thong through (which I did of course). Then I punched a hole in the leather strap of my shooting bag about half way up and made the thong long enough to easily dump powder down the muzzle without the thong coming tight.

I drop the powder measure into my shooting bag and it always finds its way to the bottom. No worries though, I drop it in near the front edge of the bag and I just grab the thong and pull to get it out of the bag. If I'm in a hurry, I just let it hang until I use it for another shot. I always know where the thong is attached and all I have to do is grab it and pull to get the measure to hand.

I have two of these that I will swap out. If I'm doing a reenactment, I use the 95-gr. measure (louder report). If I'm shooting on the range or hunting, I use the 80-gr. measure.

Twisted_1in66:thumbsup:
Dan

tied to the bag strap and inside of the bag is how I do it. I do not want things banging or hanging all over.

Back