• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bore a 54 cal renegade to 62 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themarmot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
does anybody know who i could have bore a a 54 cal t/c renegade barrel to 62 cal smoothie to make a fowler type rifle?

Here's your guy to do it.

Robert Hoyt
Barrel repair
Freischutz Shop,
700 Fairfield Station Rd., Fairfield, Pa. 17320.
phone # 717-642-6696

when you call him, let it ring a bit, machinery may be running.

+! (big time!_)

garra beat me to it ... Mr. Hoyt did a .54 that I bought on line ... a very nice fellow, but he has no website and no e - mail (and he's busy enough to not need any marketing) ... reasonable prices and tremendous workmanship.

good luck with your project!

Check out any competent local machine shop. = A&R Machine-works here in TX did a similar job for me on a .50caliber ML rifle with rusty/pitted barrel that I picked up "for peanuts" from a "junque shop" (that's that "fancy" French sort of junk.) 2 years ago for 25.oo out the door. = Shoots FINE as a "smoothie".

I suspect that any reasonably competent machinist can do that simple task & in your local area.

yours, satx

it will depend on the depth of the dovetails and screws. he did one for me but was only able to go to a 58 cal smoothbore. all total he did 4 barrels for me in the past. all came out perfect.

There is a pawn shop near by that has t/c renegades ,new englanders a couple hawkens that have rusted bores which model would be the best candidate to turn into a 62 cal smoothbore and can the stock be modified to accept a 62 cal ramrod ?

Bob did 3 for me. :thumbsup: Great work and reasonable price plus he knows what the limits are on a barrel based on dovetails depth etc....as all ready stated.

Dave

You want a barrel with the largest flat to flat dimension to be bored out. That would mean that the Renegades are the first candidate with a 1" flat to flat measurement. The New Englanders were available in rifle and smooth bore configurations. It all depends on how thick the walls of the barrel are to determine if it can be bored out smooth. You don't want to take so much metal out that you get close to the bottom of the dovetails or any screws threaded into the barrel.

As for the ramrod, there is little need to do anything other than use the appropriate jag tip.

a 50 cal with bad bore and a 1 inch octangle barrel and the best stock. ramrods are the same. :hatsoff:

Loyalist Dave said:
I doubt that a .54 with a 1" wide barrel could be opened to .62...that would only leave a wall thickness of .19... but Mr. Hoyt will know for sure, and a .58 smooth plains rifle would be plenty cool.

LD

My 62 cal GM drop-in for TC is a 1". I know folks that have had Hoyt rifle that same barrel. Bobby will know for sure, but I bet the answer is a big 10-4.

themarmot said:
There is a pawn shop near by that has t/c renegades ,new englanders a couple hawkens that have rusted bores which model would be the best candidate to turn into a 62 cal smoothbore and can the stock be modified to accept a 62 cal ramrod ?

first choice-Renegade

second choice-New Englander

no choice at all-Hawken as maybe 54cal would be max for it.

I recently sold my 62cal Renegade that he did the barrel on so, I know it's do-able. but, as stated, depth of screw-holes & dovetails will be the determin' factor.

bubba.50 said:
themarmot said:

first choice-Renegade

I recently sold my 62cal Renegade that he did the barrel on so, I know it's do-able. but, as stated, depth of screw-holes & dovetails will be the determin' factor.

why did you sell the 62 Renegade? I would like to know this as I as well have a barrel that will eventually need serious attention and the smoothie in 62 was/is my fav option if possible and desirable ... hence the question ... why sell the smoothie Renegade?

bigted said:
bubba.50 said:
themarmot said:

first choice-Renegade

why did you sell the 62 Renegade? I would like to know this as I as well have a barrel that will eventually need serious attention and the smoothie in 62 was/is my fav option if possible and desirable ... hence the question ... why sell the smoothie Renegade?

it hurt but, truck died so a lot of things I thought i'd keep forever hit the road in an attempt to scrounge a few dollars for a replacement beater pickup to save wear & tear on the wife's vehicle.

Marmotslayer ?? You wish to slay me ? Yikes

Have been waiting for that to come up! :haha:

I'm wondering about the depth of the TC stock screw holes, and the dovetails for the barrel key plus the front sight.

Excellent point and a very important consideration!

I'm wondering about the depth of the TC stock screw holes, and the dovetails for the barrel key plus the front sight.

LD[/quote]

that's exactly what Mr. Hoyt uses to determine how big he can take a bore out to. then you decide if you want to go through with it or not.

My two cents.
Measure the depth of the holes and figger out what you can do with it. Then call Mr. Hoyt with a plan.
He can tell the straight of it.

Back