• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 Cal Conical

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majg1234

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have interest joining me in getting Lee to make a 40 cal REAL bullet mold???I have the drawing for it and spoke with Lee Mfg this AM about it.The set up is $175 and the molds are $25,looking to try and split the set up cost as much as possible.
There is thread about these and one member took a nice buck with it.I have a few of these and they shoot nicely from my TVM S MTN rifle.
They weigh in @+- 200grn and add a good bit more "Thump" to the 40 when deer hunting.

Their new mold blocks ain't worth..........I sent
one back which cost half the price and got another
one just as bad. The origional square blocks are
great but the "T shape" ones are very poorly made
and when I mentioned that, I was refered to contact
the company...That would have cost half again as
much in shipping plus half the price of the mold
just to return it??? I still like Lee molds, but
the square ones NOT the "T shape" !

Thanks Mooman....I was looking to split up the cost a bit as you said.I'll check Cast Boolets too,thanks

The first "T shape" ones didn't close at all....
sent 'em back. The second one didn't close all the
way causing oversized ball. Screws too closet to
the edges and not lined up well. Just inferior
workmenship. When I asked if I could order another
mold and be sure to get the square one...They refered
me to the company....well, that sure solved that...

Thanks for reminding me Mooman. I used to know that years ago when I did a lot more experimenting before I decided to go PRB only. Man, sometimes I can't believe just how much my memory has failed me in the past few yrs :doh:

I think anyone who gets the 40 cal REAL bullet will like it. I got a mold from the last guy here who had a bunch made up. Casts nice bullets and they shoot good.

Just a suggestion, but you might consider one of the existing modern molds for pistol bullet's. Maybe something designed for the .40 S&W? You might need a custom sizer too. That is available from Lee.

I know the REAL is popular and highly regarded by many, but something with a flatter nose might be more effective. There may also be a slightly undersized mold that would lend itself to paper patch.

Or, you could front the whole cost for 50 molds and hope for the best reselling them. :shocked2:

marmotslayer said:
Just a suggestion, but you might consider one of the existing modern molds for pistol bullet's. Maybe something designed for the .40 S&W? You might need a custom sizer too. That is available from Lee.

I know the REAL is popular and highly regarded by many, but something with a flatter nose might be more effective. There may also be a slightly undersized mold that would lend itself to paper patch.

Or, you could front the whole cost for 50 molds and hope for the best reselling them. :shocked2:

My thoughts exactly. Ye beat me to the post. A sizer might not be required if using pure soft lead. Personally, I would look for a minie-style hollow base. I had some once, no idea what they were from, that were too small for my wife's forty with a Douglas barrel.

Here are a few just from the Lee site. The two on top weigh 175 and the bottom one 145. Course you need an adequate twist to shoot these.

t-45.jpg

xctmpV1yRLs.png

xctmpssM5w3.png

.401 but would probably run a bit smaller in pure lead. That one looks so much like a REAL!

I've experimented with pistol bullets in the GM .40 caliber barrels (28" and 38" long barrels).

Sizing the hind end of bullets cast from soft lead from .41 caliber molds to have them fit into the bore and still engrave the front on the rifling does provide some hope for minute of deer accuracy.

Here's some of the ones tried in the GM's.

Lyman .40 caliber mold

a smaller sized paper patched

custom hollow based

Lyman .41 wadcutter sized smaller diameter on the rear bands

But the GM barrels are a booger to work with due to the deep rifling and slow, slow twist. Getting consistent accuracy is tough.

"But the GM barrels are a booger to work with due to the deep rifling and slow, slow twist."

....and that is the very reason why I decided that the PRB was good enough especially since I won't be shooting anything much bigger than squirrels and rabbits with mine anyhow.

Back