• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mebailj

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I own a TC White Mountain Carbine that has the forward tang bolt that screws down through a channel in the stock into the trigger guard. My understanding is this was a modification that TC implemented to prevent cracked stocks on this model. I just picked up another WMC, and this one has a wood screw In the forward hole on the tang. I took the tang off to compare the stock and set up with my other rifle. There is a channel that looks like it was cut for the machine bolt. So I am thinking this is a replacement stock that TC sent back to the owner. What was funny? Was there is a plastic screw cover, like one that is placed in concrete, and the screw was just screwed into this plastic. I can't find any sources for the replacement bolt and trigger guard, so presuming that the stock will split again, what is suggested would be a fix for this stock? I thought of putting a dowel into the channel and screwing the screw into the dowel. I'm not sure this would give the tang the support it needs and result in a split stock. I appreciate your help

So I am thinking this is a replacement stock that TC sent back to the owner.
That's a pretty good bet.
WMC is a member of the Renegade style TC rifles and the stocks were/are pretty much interchangeable sans the round or octagon barrel channel.
The WMC is a single trigger right? That trigger/guard assembly should have a tapped hole for front the tang bolt.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have one, new in 1993, that is tapped. But this one isn't. The stock has the channel, but no through bolt and not tapped. In the new one, the area immediately below the tang and into the channel has some glass bedding to support the through bolt in the channel. The rifle in question didn't have any bedding.

If it was possible, I would drill and tap the trigger guard and find a machine bolt to fit it and modify it just like the other rifle that you have.

Back