• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Tanegashima

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worn

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm retired in northern Arizona, USA and I recently dusted off a well-used Tanegashima (Japanese matchlock) that my wife inherited from her father's estate. It was smoke and water damaged in a fire. My desire is to restore it to working order, though not necessarily to shoot it, to replace the missing parts and to remove the remaining soot and make the stock look nice. I'll be searching the forum and doubtless posting questions about how to proceed.

I started off knowing next to nothing about muzzle loaders. Have learned a lot so far but have a long way to go. Looking forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Worn

Let me just welcome you to the Forum. :hatsoff:

You have come to the right place...there are folks here with the know-how you are wanting. They will be along shortly.

I don't have any of the knowledge you need, except to tell you to wait for all the input and then sift through it to decide what is the best advice (some folks here know more than others).

Above all, take your time, work slowly and carefully. All of which I am sure you already know, or you wouldn't be here. :grin:

I wish you well in your endeavor, it is a good thing you are doing. :thumbsup:

We will all want to see pictures, before,(absolutely essential), during and after.

Back