• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found an old TC Hawken kit in a pawn shop, pics....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Lykins

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last fall I was visiting family in Utah. Walked into a hock-shop in Provo and spotted one of the TC kits. Nothing special here, just another TC. I'm not sure when TC stopped selling the Hawken kit but the pawn shop owner had it in his shop for a long time and he was ready to negotiate. After making a deal I brought it back home to Wyoming and after a few months put her together. These are easy to do, inletting is just shy of 100% but I had to remove a bunch of wood shape the stock. To make it interesting I put a few of my own affects to the gun.
I scrapped the brass thimbles and silver soldered a couple of iron thimbles onto the under rib. I used the brass wedge key but filed a couple of iron plates to replace the brass units. I reshaped the front sight and scraped the adjustable rear sight. I plugged the screw holes, cut & filed a dovetail slot to accommodate a fixed rear sight. All rust browned obviously. I also filed about 30% of the brass nose piece away and reshaped.

I also made a brass toe plate.

I buffed the case hardening from the lock and "antiqued" it.

I made an iron escutcheon to replace the brass unit.

What do ya think fellas?

Cannot find the mammary glands on "her" but you have done well with your workmanship.

I like the changes, and am considering doing the same to one of my T/C Seneca's.

You've done well............... :bow:

marmotslayer said:
You done good:thumbsup:

but, us cheapskates want to know the details of "the deal"!!!

:rotf: Lets put it this way, I've spent more taking my wife out to dinner. :wink:

You have a wonderful imagination, the small details, make it very unique. One of the best looking TC Hawken rifles that I have seen.

Very nice. I did the same to my TC but for the life of my can't remember how to post pics from photobucket on to here.

I know that it is a trivial thing but replace the brass screws with steel screws. Heat blue finish looks good against the brass toe plte and patch box. Same for the butt plate.
Since you replaced some brass with iron, keep the theme going with the screws.

Due to the comparatively high comb on the TC stock, my choices were limited. I looked through the ML parts suppliers web-sites and picked the tallest semi-buckhorn sight I could find. I'd loved to have found a rear sight with more of a buckhorn look but just couldn't find one tall enough.

The picture is not really clear as far as the attachment. The TC barrel has 2 screws and it almost looks like you dovetailed that sight into the barrel? Did you put filler screws in the holes and file them flush and refinish? Sorry for all the questions but would really like to know all the details and if not terribly bothersome maybe one more pic of just the sight from above. Thanks.
BTW just noticed that your from Wyoming also. What part? I'm in Carbon County in Hanna.

I'm in the Casper area now but am very familiar w/ Hanna. I was the Postmaster at Rock River for 12 years.
I used the screws for the TC sight by cutting them off, peening them into the screw holes then filing the flush to the surface of the barrel.
Cut the dovetails with a hack saw then file the nice and flat, cutting the corners with a 3 sided file. Nothing hard about it, just take your time and don't get too aggressive. I'll see if I can find a photo but I'll bet if you did a search on this site you'll find a step by step photo tutorial on cutting dovetails.

I know you, we have met before when you were in Rock River. I'm the local telephone guy for the area.

Anyhow, thought it looked like that's what you did. I'm not scared about cutting the dovetail just wasn't sure how much effort I wanted to put into this TC Hawken to make it only partially correct. Thanks.

That's a great idea on the screws. I never thought of that. Track of the Wolf, sells the unfinished oval head, slotted screws.

Back