• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please tell me about this pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianster9

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a muzzleloading pistol and found one at an upcoming auction, but I don't know anything about it. I was hoping you all could help. The only marking on it that I saw was "Made in Spain". I measured the diameter of the bore and it was 1/2 inch. I believe that means its a .50 caliber, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I will have pictures of the pistol attached to this post. Please tell me what it is and what it's worth. I wouldn't want to over pay for it. Thanks!

The pictures can be found in an album here: http://village.photos/members/ianster9/muzzleloading-pistol

Looks like a CVA colonial pistol my brother once owned. I think other companies might have imported it too. Yours has the trigger stamped out of plate steel. These seem to be safe to shoot, but Spanish proof is only about 10,000 psi, so don't overload it. I think Dixie Gun Works used to sell them, you might contact them for loading data. I Hope this helps; George.

A pre 1981 Jukar or Dinar Spanish made pistol imported by CVA and some others. After about 1981, the CVA colonial pistol had a drum and nipple instead of the bolster. Early 1970's mdels barely had scratches for rifling. To my knowledge all with the bolster were 45 cal.

zimmerstutzen said:
A pre 1981 Jukar or Dinar Spanish made pistol imported by CVA and some others. After about 1981, the CVA colonial pistol had a drum and nipple instead of the bolster. Early 1970's mdels barely had scratches for rifling. To my knowledge all with the bolster were 45 cal.
Plus...
A non-removable breech plug and a cheaply made as possible lock. The bottom of the front sight has a short pin that fits into a hole drilled in the top of the barrel. Okay for ten or fifteen grains and plinking I guess, but I would pay about thirty bucks tops for one

Nothing special there.
I've seen that pistol as an early Hopkins & Allen import.
They can be found every once in a while for $50 at a local pawnshop or gun show.
It doesn't have a collector or antique value and that short barreled version has dismal accuracy past 15ft.

.45 calibers. They are mostly ok for a first muzzle loading handgun, no target gun but a blaster.
Think of them as a smooth bore handgun.
A nice one at a table at a gunshow can bring $150. Without any doubt.

The one pictured looks rusty at the muzzle and the front sight is gone.
If I was going to guess, at least the muzzle of the bore is rusty.
That cuts the price down, too hard to sell. All fixable if you put the time in it.

With it at auction there is a good chance some clown will think it came over on the Mayflower
Let us know if you get it.

William Alexander

Thank you to everyone who answered my question. It seems that pistol is nothing special and not worth my time. Im glad I didn't get it and then find all this out later. You are all life savers!

I had one of those exact same pistols I won as a door prize at a Sportsmen's Club meeting in the early '70s as a kit. It was about the cheapest entry-level but reliable muzzle-loader a person could buy at the time. It was fun to shoot, though, as are they all. I used a .440 round ball, and only patched the ball on the first shot or two. After that, the fouling held the ball in place for several more shots before it had to be cleaned.

I still have it, but the lock is probably worth just as much by itself as the whole gun is worth.

Native Arizonan said:
I still have it, but the lock is probably worth just as much by itself as the whole gun is worth.

I get $60. Out of just the lock,
$100. Out of the gun, a good one,
$150 out of the gun, a real nice one

And no, I don’t have any for sale.

William Alexander

That looks exactly like a Jukar I bought a year or so ago. Mine is in .45 caliber and I like it. It sparks nicely and handles well.

For those of you who may have been wondering, I didn't end up buying the pistol. I didn't feel like staying for it since it was hours until it was to be auctioned off and it was very hot in the building. i would have only gotten it if it were to go for 10 or 15 dollars. From your responses, it didn't sound like anything worth spending a lot for. Despite not getting that, I did pick up an old WWI/WW2 machete for a good price. Thats completely irrelevant, but I shared it anyways. :v

That looks exactly like a Jukar I bought a year or so ago.
Ya know,,
There are several here that say it look's like a CVA/Jukar/Dikar from years back,,
But I haven't seen a Jukar with that style breech.
Yes the stock look very much like many of the 5 inch barrel Spanish pistol imports but it's that breech style that set's it apart from the others, then if the opportunity arrives and someone looks at the internals of the lock they'll find it's a stirup type that was never used by the Jukar or CVA/Traditons.

Here's mine. Looks pretty similar.

IMG_20150110_213019_zpsugkds6er.jpg
[/URL][/img]

The other side.

IMG_20150110_150657393_HDR_zpsjbqlcz7a.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Here are pictures of the four CVA lock styles from the 1971 CVA catalog

The Kentucky Belt pistol with the same style lock from the same catalog

The early tower pistol with a bolster breech and the other style cheap lock

here is the colonial pistol kit from the 1984 cva catalog

I have owned both styles.

Well Necchi, now you have seen.

Lock No 1304 was still listed in the 1988 CVA parts catalog, and does not have a stirrup.

I have one like that in 45 that was part of a deal for a couple of cap and ball revolvers. It is actually a pretty reliable shooter, but I haven't spent enough time with it to really sight it in.

I need to correct a typo above. The picture of the colonial pistol kit is from the 1974 catalog

Back