• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Short 28ga fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fowler 24

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any negatives on a fowler with a 34 inch barrel? To be used for round ball woods walk and pot shots at rabbits , birds ect.

Not that I can think of, my 10 bore has a 34" bbl. and throws a really dense pattern of shot. Heres a 28 with a 36" bbl. 5-1/2 lb.

click to see more...Tom

nope, always used 31 or shorter. current one is a 72 cal smoothbore trade musket with 31 in barrel.

Nope. Shorter barrels work just fine. Quail, Rabbits, Geese (ok, goose) and I find it easier to manage in the thick woods than a longer gun.

32" 12Ga.
20141024_095749sm.jpg

The first muzzle loader I ever owned (And I still have it )was a 28 gauge shotgun with a 32 inch barrel and it has accounted for many many rabbits. :idunno: :idunno:

The nice thing about a 28s they are cheaper to shoot. I shoot PRB at 33 balls to the lb. of lead as opposed to my 20 ga. with 22 balls to the lb.

The 34” barrel is just fine.

Thanks all. I just ordered a 28 ga. English fowler with 34 in. barrel Should be here Friday

Fowler 24 said:
Thanks all. I just ordered a 28 ga. English fowler with 34 in. barrel Should be here Friday

I'm curious what you got and where you got it. I've had my eyes open for something along those lines.

My buddy uses a NW Trade gun with a 30" barrel. Handy in a tree stand and walking through the thick stuff. It shoots as good as my 42" smoothie. I am contemplating an amputation of my long barrel.

Brown bear , I got it from TOW. It has a short length of pull. I'm 5'6" So a short pull fits me and a short barrel generally suits me better. I have a TV M early Va. .50 with a 36" barrel
that fits me pretty well.

Thanks for the comeback Fowler. Sounds like the perfect gun for you and lots of uses.

Think of all the folks wishing they were having so much fun when you're out there enjoying it! :thumbsup:

36 and a short barrel? It is maximum available here.our gun makers produce muzzle loaders barrels 30 to 36 inches.but shooters rarely prefer even that of 36 inches. Most of the shooters prefer 32 inch barrel.

Back