• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R late english lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWF

32 Cal.
Reaction score
just purchased a new L&R late English flint lock. I thought this would be a drop in since I am using the same lock in my rifle. well it does not fit seems to be some wood obstruction. the back of the lock is different in slight ways, that seems to be the cause of the fit problem.

can I have a gunsmith work the new lock to match the form and fit to the current lock, also are new L&R flintlocks tuned and hardened?

appreciate your thoughts
thank you

It would be better to inlet the new lock, if just a slight bit of wood needs removing. I mean in deepening the lock mortise, not lock panel.

The locks are hardened at all necessary points, just not "finely" tuned, would be my guess. (as I don't have this lock. Do have a Durrs Egg). It may not need a lot of mortise work.

The lock I purchased is the T 900 model and from the front view is an exact copy of my current lock. I guess what I can do is keep the existing lock on the rifle until I need to replace it. In the mean time I will get the Frizzen worked
Thanks for the response

Your information is confusing. What is the problem? Does the new lock not fit the inlet? Some wood removal might fix that. A pic would help. Then you mention the frizzen. Fit has little, of anything to do with the frizzen. More info needed. BTW, L&R locks come ready to use.

sorry for the late response been away. the lock does not sit in the current opening. rather than trim away some of the wood I need to have the new lock made to look like the existing lock from the fit standpoint. there are some small differences in the metal on the rear of the new lock. I plan on sending it out for this work. as to the frizzen I meant to say that I will get it hardened while having the new lock worked.
thanks

Back