• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken (Spain) Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
necchi said:
The two wrench spots are on aftermarket drums, many of the originals are all round.

I have a couple of older ones (CVAs), both with the flat spots. A Mountain rifle and a Kentucky. I hadn't noticed that at some point they changed to all round on the newer ones. Just a thinkin but maybe they changed it to make it difficult to remove on the patient breeches? I'll have to check on this more.

:hmm:
Just went an looked at my MR,, mine has a round one alright.
This one seem's to be a round one too;
:idunno:

CVA1.jpg

Another question. While I know this isn't a period correct rifle, the one thing that really sticks out to me is that modern rear sight. Is there a source for a more traditional rear sight that would be easy to switch out (As in, no filing or drilling etc)

Thanks, Smollet

Can someone please shed some light on how to install the ramrod retention spring in the CVA Hawken barrel channel. Embarrassed to admit that I can't figure it out on my own.

Thanks, Smollett

I take those ram rod retainers out and just put a slight bow into my ram rod that i make out of split straight grain Hickory.

And all that is why those springs get messed up through the years and several owners,,
Is it Right when the thumb is on the left?
Or Left when the thumb is on the the right?

That is correct. I was thinking of the one on a GPR. Didn't get the CVA out to actually look at it.

The CVA is just a curved spring made of flat metal with a loop on the end for the lock screw to retain it.
I never take mine out, I just take the lock off & leave the screw & spring in the stock.

Keith Lisle

I have seen CVA have 2 types. With and without a screw loop.

Looped one...The spring should have the bow of it down, towards the ramrod, front lock bolt through the loop, and the end of the spring towards the breech.

non-looped somewhat arched flat spring... They are just "pushed" into the Ramrod channel (has small "tabs" cut at one end), wedging into the wood. You might see minor dings inside channel, where it was before. Same rules, bow down towards ramrod, unwedged end of spring towards the breech.

Latest posts

Back