• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington vs Colt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Az, have you been too long in the mountains? :haha:

One can enjoy the lines of a fine gun the same as a fine woman. It's just the outcome that's different. :)
To elaborate: with one, I can gaze at her longingly, take her in my hands and feel the curves and lines, then gently caress the "tricker" and hear the glorious outburst of sound as she rushes to meet me in mutual satisfaction, all of the senses fulfilled.

With the other, I usually get a dirty look, and she walks away! :idunno: :haha:

azmntman said:
Colt's have a certain sex appeal, but sex does not win matches.

Guns dont have sex's remember? :idunno: They are not he's or she's and cannot therfore be appealing to a true he or she??
All my guns are girls. Ask people who live 1 on 1 with nature they will tell you everything has a sprit or soul or our aspects of a single great soul . What ever it is that's true I know if I treat things as living they tend to treatme right. I treat my guns like daughters and they treat me mostly well, act great if the " moons not on them"

Not to get too involved in the mystical part of pistol ownership. My guns all have character but they don't have a gender.

Anyway, I had an 1860 colt. It was nice, shot well enough. I don't like shooting something held together with a wedge. I sold it so I could buy something else.

I now have two Remington New Army 44's. I like a solid frame and real sights. The grips are too small and the trigger guard bumps my fingers, but they are my guns so I have filed and changed grips and whatever so the fit me better.

Solitary Cyclist said:
A lot will ride on how big your hands are, the Remington can be a knuckle-rapper in the 'wrong' hands whereas the Colt just feels right somehow. Simplest answer is to buy em' both!

Gotta say this is gonna be a lot more individual too.... I just got a Uberti 1858 New army 44 and popped off 3 cylinders of 30gr 777 under a round ball without any issues and my hands are just a good 2xl+ when I buy a new pair of lined deerskin gloves.. I'm about 11" around the palm and 9" wrist line to tip of middle finger.

I will say that the grip does pretty much disappear in my hand...

Sportsman's Warehouse sells Traditions for around $200. and Uberti's a little over $300 give or take a few bucks. Personally I'd get the Uberti.

Remington for me, every Colt I have shot gave me problems with caps stuck behind the cylinder when discharged and cocking the new one. Lifting up, sideways, I could not make it work flawlessly enough time that I switched to Remington. So far, so good.

All C&B wheelguns have some issue that make them NOT modern. That's part of the fun. I like the Remmy for paper punching with small groups. I like the Colts for in the field shooting at dirt clods and empty cans. Remmy feels heftier but the Colts are good pointers. Both are hoots to shoot, just got ta know its limitations and advantages. :hatsoff:
slojo

You know I never gave much thought as to how one or the other will fit my hands? I am a big guy 6'4+ 275 pounds. I have big hands at least 2XL+. I do not want something that has grips that feel like the size of a child's cap gun in my hand. I may just have to make the 2 hour drive to Cabelas in Hammond Indiana and actually hold some different cap&ball revolvers and see what fits me. :hmm:

I've had just about every percussion wheel-gun made at one time or another. There are a few I loved the looks of but hated shooting, and a few the other way around.

But as for Remington vs Colt I find the '58 Remmy fits my right hand perfectly, and the '60 Colt fits my left just right. I can even switch 'em around and they still fit! :wink:

Cynthialee said:
Over the years I have regretted selling every colt I got rid of save one POS...
The Remington's I have had were nice enough, but there is just something about a Colt. Never really missed the Remmys...

Yes ma'am. I've sold three Remingtons this year and just don't miss them. They were fine guns but...

I've always admired the Colts. Just something about the way they look that I find appealing. And I must add that they fit my hand better than any other pistol I've ever held. I have 2 51's a 60 and a 61, and shoot them all. If I had to claim a favorite it would be the 51 with the 61 a close second. The 51 balances like no other and just points naturally with the 61 winning on aesthetics. Fine looking piece.

The Remingtons are easier for me to shoot accurately, and easier to clean, but as others have noted, they give me a sore knuckle.
The Colts were there on the battlefields and across the frontier from the late 1830s through the Mexican War, the Gold Rush and the Civil War. Out West here, most museum will have four or more Colts for every Remington in their collections.
They are a bit fiddly, but in my hand the point very naturally. Bill Hickock was still carrying Navies when he was assassinated in 1876. He had a reason for doing so.

The Adams Museum in Deadwood,SD, has one of Wild Bill's guns......a Remington. I agree that he preferred Navy Colt .51's, but he also had the competition.

In Germany the last years the 1860 CAS class was won by 1860 Centennial New Model Armies. We build new Pistons for the remington no 11 caps, so the problem with in the mechanic falling parts is gone.
Find it here: www.1960nma.org

I like the pocket versions of Colt and Remmington, thats the real weapons who most wearing at the goldfields and the towns in the 1870ies

here a pic with an .44 army and an .31 pocket

18592803mn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to Bravo's question:

Get a Remington .44 in either 8 or 5.5 inch, best for first time owner/shooter of C&B revolver. I have both Colt and Remington and love them all, could not get by with out both types but for a person getting their first I recommend Remington. Easier to work with. You will love it ... then get a Colt. Got to have both.

Interesting web site - thanks for the link. I noticed that the 1860 Colt shown in the link has the "Rampant Colt" on the frame is that original to the gun if so how old is the gun?

These Centaures aka Centennial Armies Erik is refering to feature
# no logo: 1959 to later in 1960 production
# the "rampant centaur" logo (rifle pointing to the left and about parallel to water table of frame): later in 1960 to some time in 1964 production
# the "walking centaur" logo (rifle pointing to the left and downwards): some time in 1964 to end of production in early summer 1973
The centaur logo is to be found on the foward left side of the frame, same position as the two line COLTS PATENT stamp of Colt made 1860s.
Particularly the "rampant centaur" logo looks similar to the rampant colt logo.
Long Johns Wolf

I have both a 58 Rem target model and a 60 Colt standard model both Pietta's but the one I recently got and like the feel of best is a Navy Model 62 Police in .36 caliber and five shooter.
All of them have been worked over and tuned up but this little gun feels good in the hand,is reasonably accurate and barks like a big dog!
I just reamed the cylinders even and it now takes a .380 diameter ball but haven't had a chance to accuracy test it yet.
I gone from Crisco over the balls to Bee's wax and Murphys oil soap lubed felt wads in all of them and like what I'm seeing so far.

Back