• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

correct powder and charge question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakercity

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .50 T/C Hawkin. I want to use plain old black for my loads shooting prb. May I ask for black powder brand suggestions, FF or FFF, and suggestions for beginning to max charge? Thanks for any help :idunno:

I would buy a pound of 3f Goex and start with a powder charge of 50 grains. Shoot three times aiming at the same place on the target, swab the bore between shots with an cleaning patch that is barely dampened and not dripping with 91% rubbing alcohol. Do not adjust your sights or change anything at this point. After three shots then increase your load by 5 grains until your groups get nice and tight. Only after that do you adjust or file your sights, change shooting patch lubes, type of patch, diameter of ball, etc.
Swabbing the bore is just down and up, then either flip the patch over and do it again or just discard the patch, as you are just trying to return the bore to the same condition as the shot before it. Don't exceed more than 110 grains of 3f when using a PRB; less if and when you try a lead conical.

My old notes indicate that with Goex we had luck with 70 grains FFg for best accuracy, 90 grains for a velocity of 1850 fps for deer and 110 grains for around 2,000 fps for bigger critters or heavier deer species. Had descent luck with 40 grains FFFg for plinking and head shots on small game. Believe the 110 gain load was the max recommended by T/C but don't remember for sure. This was with .490" round ball and .015" patches, Ox-Yoke if memory serves...didn't write down brand name at the time. Hope this gives you a start. Imagine you could use FFFg for the heavier loads if you back off 10 to 15 grains when switching from FFg to FFFg. Good luck.

my t/c .50 hawken shoots well with goex ffg powder. i ended up using 80grs in my rifle for deer hunting but it done about as good with 70. i also use mink oil for patch lube. so far it has worked the best out of all the lubes i have tried.

Mine has always done well with ff or fff. For twenty years I hunted with 70 gr goex ff and a .490 ball.

Had to change hunting areas cause the deer got to know the sound of my hammer pulling to half cock and would migrate to Utah! They knew more about the right load than a lot of hunters 😊

Back