• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington vs Colt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
azmntman said:
So its clear.......the winner is Coltingtons? :blah:

You got that right! :haha:

I have an 1851 Colt Navy (Uberti) which handles just sweet. I love the grip. I have an 1860 Colt (original) that I have yet to shoot, but I don't like the grip as much, unless I put on a leather glove.

My wife took me to the gun store the other day, and bought me a Remington New Model Army (Uberti) for Christmas. I like the way it feels in the hand. Looking forward to comparing it and the Colt Army at the range. (Might be a little while; Flintlock deer season comes in the day after Christmas.)

It'll be fun working up loads for them.

In most places in the U.S. there are not enough places to shoot line matches. There is a shortage of places to shoot, there is a shortage of folks to learn from, that is where a person learns. You do not learn from shooting by yourself.

When I first went to Phoenix for the Winter Nationals I gathered knowledge what I could learn from here.

Some good information and some very not so good.

My wife let me venture forth with 3 pistols and meager knowledge.

After my initial venture into revolver shooting a fellow came down the line and said you do not have a clue what you are doing. He said here is how you load the revolver, here is what you need to do and when you get finished please return my things to me. He left for the trap range.

Found him later and thanked him for my education.
After the awards, he said you learn quick.

Short story after nice mentors in Phoenix, my shooting has capability has increased. I asked one fellow in Phoenix where do I go to learn pistol shooting, he pointed me in the right direction.

It is mental.

Given a choice it goes to Uberti, Remington 44.

Next to Uberti Remington 36.

If I could find one it would be a Rogers and Spensor only to be up staged by a Pedersoli Remington 1858.

I passed on a Rogers and S. in Friendship to get a quality flintlock smooth bore. Left 2 other pistols on the table, that will not happen again.

We do not see quality pistols in East Texas that are seen in Europe.

Oh, 1860 Colt will go on the sex list, not on line but to the stable. Most likely in Charcoal Blue.

Traditions offered one for a while and I wonder about its quality. Pedersoli showed one just a little while back but I can't find it on their site this evening. If/when they get it in production I'll bet it will be top quality but they won't be cheap.

Over the years I have regretted selling every colt I got rid of save one POS...
The Remington's I have had were nice enough, but there is just something about a Colt. Never really missed the Remmys...

Yes Ma'am! Couldn't have said it better. For competitive shooting, the Remington probably has the advantage and the special "Shooter's" version with all the bells and whistles is probably top of the mark. When I"m sneaking up on a bunnie or defending myself from a band of vicious Coors cans, give me that comfortable Colt grip frame! :wink:

Howdy!
I've been shooting both Uberti Colt 1860s and Uberti Remmington 1858s (I prefer the forged frame ones) in Cowboy Action Shooting competitions for the last several years. Both fit my hand well, and without any 'knuckle-wrap', so that was not an issue. Yes, the Colt has better lines, but I found the Remington to be more trouble free than the Colt; for me, caps don't fall into the mechanism like they do with the Colt, and jam it up. The Colt allows the use of a capper, while the Remmie doesn't, but I'm nimble enough that that is a non-issue for me.
I also like the option of conversion cylinders and the Remmies allows the use of one without total disassembly of the firearm.
Given all the above, the Remmies are now my main cap and ball competition guns.

My "aim" for the gun is simply as a hobby. No competition or anything like that.No hunting. Just some pleasant Saturday or Sunday afternoons at the range plinking. :grin:

Competition has never excited me. I compete with myself, always striving to be a better shot. But I do see the value at times,in competing with others.

I have met a few "experts" at the range. Many knew less than me. Some had knowledge worth learning. You were fortunate in your encounters.

I learned most of what I know by studying the Masters, men like Keith, McGivern, Cooper, Hebard etc. Under such tutelage, I became a pretty good pistol shot.

Much of what I "knew" re black powder shooting was hand-me-down lore and myth. I have gained much insight since joining this Forum, and my shooting is improving. Vallandigham, Spencer, Zonie, Phariss , Schoultz, are just some of the names that come to mind.

I am looking forward to increasing my knowledge and skill with black powder revolvers. My 1860 Colt has no finish, and some rust damage in the bore, but is in excellent mechanical condition.

I am curious how the progressive rifling will compare to the standard twist in the Uberti Remington. Of course, it's like comparing apples to oranges, a 150 year old revolver with a pitted barrel and gain twist rifling vs a new replica with non-gain rifling, but I am curious. Also, as to handling and ergonomics (e.g., the sight differences).

I, too, find the Rogers and Spencer revolver interesting. I have read only good on this Forum
in their regard.

At my age, I can only hope to win the lottery. :haha:

Merry Christmas, and good shooting to you. :hatsoff:

I went with the Remington initially and later bought the Colt.
Both are Pietta's and needed a lot of work to bring them up to full potential.
The 1860 Colt was the predominate side arm used by the Union in the Civil war and had a very good reputation for reliability and accuracy.
There were many times more of them made and in use during that conflict than were the Remington's.
Remington's are more robust and strong with the solid frame and it is much easier to set them up with good adjustable sights.
I don't think they are more inherently accurate though which surprised me when I got one of each.
My 60 will hang right with the 58 if I do my part.

Because of having a top strap, the Remington is a stronger revolver than the Colt. I think the cylinder is more easily removed from the Remington than the Colt making cylinder changes quicker and easier if you want to carry a loaded spare cylinder or two for quick reloads. The Colt is a sweet revolver and really tugs at your heart strings but I think the Remington is a better choice. But, that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. :hatsoff:

My mentor taught me only to shoot against your self, no one else. Your goal is to shoot better on each target than you did on the previous one.

I never go to the wall to see how I am doing in a match, until the fat lady has sung on my scores.

I then compare them to my last match. My wife is nosey will check the wall on the last day to see how I am doing, we have an agreement, she is not to discuss where I am against my self.

Hebard, "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury" by Gil Hebard, the best book on pistol shooting there is.
It is about shooting modern pistols, but it carries over to B/P shooting 100%.

"The Definitive Guide to Shooting Muzzle Loading Pistols" by Derek Fuller, it has a lot of slant to shooting matches in Europe, but lots of good information you will not find any where else..

"Percussion Revolvers" by Mike Cumpston and Johnny Bates, best book on revolvers that I have seen.

"Handbook Of Modern Percuccion Revolvers" by Michael Morgan, nice book, came highly recommended, it's okay.

If you buy books 1 and 3, you will become a decent pistol shooter if you follow them.

What I found out about shooting pistol in Friendship, they shutdown from 12 to 1 for lunch and for the most part they eat together as a group. A person can learn a lot by sitting and listening from the better shooters.

If you work hard and put forth the effort, the top shooters will help with mentoring.

Remington's are work horses, Colt's have a certain sex appeal, but sex does not win matches.

I got the "Treasury" years ago, it's still a great guide. I will look into the others, especially "3".

Your mentor gave you the right advice...don't worry about the other guys, just shoot your best.

And you have a wise agreement with your Wife. Some years back, I was shooting a snub nosed .38 double action off the bench at 55 yards. My Daughter, watching through binoculars commented: "Whatever you're doing, don't change it. You're not going to believe this target."
The first three shots were in an inch group! the next two opened it up 2 or 3 inches. (I'd have to run downstairs to check the target.) I knew what the result would be when she first made her comment. Broken concentration, and the pressure of having to equal your performance so far, can be hard obstacles.

Thanks for your follow up.

One Richard to Another.

My wife started out to be "my" coach, unsolicited by the way. She has been fired.

Since firing her, my scores are going up.

A Colt will be joining the group, just not a major contender.

Progressive rifling in pistols, have heard great things from one person, had a chance at a top dollar Pietta and passed.

Mentor said buy the best you can, but practice is better.

For the money, not for competition. Just for fun. Is the Traditions F Lli Pietta Colt 1860 Army any good? I just got a lead on a new one from a friend and the price seems good ( cheaper than anything on GB)?Then again what is a fair price for one? Please give me your advise. Thanks. :grin:

Colt's have a certain sex appeal, but sex does not win matches.

Guns dont have sex's remember? :idunno: They are not he's or she's and cannot therfore be appealing to a true he or she??

Back