• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what brand of lock is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is the fly? If sandwiched between the lock plate and tumbler it is a L/R. They are the only ones that make them that way. Otherwise I can't tell from the picture. BJH

OK, I'm not eekspurt enuf to identify builder. Looks simple but the fly may be hidden. The rifle is a mix of ideas but it is YER rifle gun, and it shoots fine. That is all that matters. Enjoy.

im just trying to figure the make of lock should i ever need to replace or repair anything. and im curious lol

they all look the same to me :hmm:

and with all the "experts" here i figured it to be a simple nuff question.

the first three shots ever fired from this gun, period. lol

excuse my dyslexia...had pabst blue ribbon on the brain 'stead of patched round ball :haha:

my first shots from a rocklock ever too.

so yeah, im quite happy with it. just trying to figure out some particulars out of curiosity rather than any real need

davescott said:

That was a darned good first three shots. :thumbsup:

Looking at the picture of your flint position, I'm a little surprised it's staying in the jaws positioned so far out. In addition, it looks very blunted/dull and striking the frizzen straight on versus at a bit of a downward "scraping" angle.

I guess if it's sparking well, no worries. If it's not, I'd try a sharp flint and setting that back a bit further into the jaw more like the pictures originally posted.

It really does look like a Siler (most significantly because of the two piece bolster which I have never seen on an L&R or Davis with this shape of plate) but the bridal is wrong for the Chambers version.

I have never seen one of Bud Silers locks (pre-Chambers days), but it's possible this is what it might look like.

I would email your (good) pic to Chambers and see if they can identify it.

like stated, that was my first shots ever as well. she now carries knapped flints rather than the initial saw cut. the initial pics are taken today, the target was last spring

I tried everything getting that one to spark reliably. It was actually in backwards for those shots as it was only way to get good sparks. Learned alot since then thru trial and error and mostly by joining here and pouring thru the archives

Going to lose your flint if you're not careful. :grin: That is some fine shootin'....Mick C

By-the-way, at first I thought maybe an old Dixie early Ketland but when I saw it in the rifle I vote Siler with a rounded pan.

I have a 32 Dixie mountain rifle. Looking at the lock and comparing, while it is not 100% identical it is really close, like 98% the same. I bought mine used a few years ago so I don't know how old it is.

The lockplate does look like a Siler but the bottom of the pan is not the faceted Germanic style.
It is much more the rounded shape of the English locks.

Also, the frizzen spring doesn't look at all like a Siler lock's.

On the other hand, the mainspring does look like the ones on a large Siler.
The method of attaching the pan to the lockplate shown in the picture with the pink pillow also looks like a Siler.

I suppose it's possible that someone has filed the flats on the bottom of the pan off and rounded them off more like the English locks.

The frizzen spring doesn't look like any of the ones shown in my TOTW catalog. The difference I'm looking at is the "hump" where the frizzen cam rests.

If those are your first three flintlock shots, I'm really jealous! :wink:

As for the lock, no idea guy! It's sent me puzzling through all the catalogs and a lot of pictures tying to match it up to something else...all with no luck. It's similar to several but enough differences to rule them all out. Beginning to wonder if it's actually a hand made style some builder came up with or possibly, and I really do mean "possibly", a fairly clean original someone located and incorporated into this rifle build. Sorry, that's not much help...gong to get Excedrin headache #8 over this one! :wink: :haha:

the first three that went boom. shooting over an old cedar post. I bet it took twenty attempts to get those three to fire. id get so used to it not going off id be over the flinches when it did lol

Im not claiming to shoot like that regularly. that rifle just took a liking to me :idunno:

Looks a lot like some of the stuff Dixie used to sell. They might could help identify it and might possibly have parts, but don't count on it. There were a lot of manufactures and importers back in the 70's that are no longer in business.

Don't get too used to shooting groups like that. Hard to concentrate with that fire breathing mousetrap right in your face.

Back