• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A couple more squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradCayton

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was able to get in the woods for a bit this morning with my smooth rifle. The squirrels were moving and I took a big red and a small gray. The gray will be much better eating but I'll sure eat em both :grin:

Brad ya done good! Throw them in the crock pot,cook til falling off the bone then separate the meat. Add a little thicking making a lite gravy putting your meat back in and over biscuts you won't know which squirrel is which. :wink:Dan.

Good deal :thumbsup: Been a while since I have seen a fox squirrel in my neck of the woods. I miss em :idunno:

wvbuckbuster said:
Brad ya done good! Throw them in the crock pot,cook til falling off the bone then separate the meat. Add a little thicking making a lite gravy putting your meat back in and over biscuts you won't know which squirrel is which. :wink:Dan.

My plans exactly Dan!

Thanks fellas. We still have quite a few fox squirrels in my neck of the woods. I'd just as soon small game hunt as anything.

Nice photo. Those big ones can be tough. Try steaming them till tender and about to fall off the bone. While they steam par boil some diced carrots, potatoes, blanch some peas and some pearl onions (pealed obviously). And make a pie crust. I make extra gravy when I roast chickens or turkey and keep it on hand or use bone stock to make it when needed. You need some now. Pluck meat from steamed squirrels and throw it in a mixing bowl with the veggies, start mixing in gravy until it's a consistancy you like, then go a little thinner as you'll loose some moisture while baking. Pour this into your pie crust and either top with more crust, Pillsbury biscuits or those triangles of crescent roll do from same maker. Bake and enjoy.

Very nice picture!
And now you did it again - me sitting on the couch mouth watering with all the speak of squirrel pie...

Silex

My little central Texas secret for making old varmints tender, and I'm talking up to elk, is the good old pressure cooker! Yep, just like ma and grandma had!! About 15 minutes at clicking and rocking pressure will make'em fork tender! Buy the good American built ones, keep them clean and follow the directions! :wink: :haha:

Good advice, Wes/Tex. I've been using the pressure cooker for old squirrels for a long time, but with a twist. I enjoy Japanese style cooking. After they are falling-off-the-bone tender, take all the meat off and sauté it over low heat with terriyaki sauce until it's nicely glazed, then serve it over hot oriental rice, add a sprinkle of hot red peppers”¦.presto! terriyaki squirrel domburi. With that and a flask of sake you don't need anything else. :haha:

Spence

Outstanding twist on an old theme fella! Not sure about sake.....about as knowledgeable there as I am with French wine! :wink: Lone Star, Shiner or sour mash usually gets it done down here! Your photos made me want to reach for ole Smokey but shooting any of the deeries, duckies or limb chickens around here would get me pummeled by about 57 little, blue-haired ladies! :rotf:

You also make me rue the day I let somebody talk me into selling my set of Japanese ivory chop sticks...I'm such an idiot sometimes! :wink:

Many good ideas for squirrel dishes! I've been using squirrel and rabbit and brown rice lately too. I still love me some old fashioned squirrel, gravy and biscuits like momma used to make though. I may have to try for a few more squirrels. You guys are making me hungry :hatsoff:

Wow! Congratulations, well done. That is one huge fox squirrel. I cut them into pieces and boil with a few spices of your choice, like onion, garlic and a few red pepper flakes, ( to give it character ). Let the meat cool down enough to remove from the bones. Return the meat back to the pot and bring to a rolling boil. Drop in flat dumplings, ether store bought or home made, and continue cooking until the dumplings are done. Enough flour will come off of the dumplings to thicken the stew......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to cook them down and flake the meat and make squirrel cakes just like you'd do with salmon. Squirrel chowders good too. Hey Brad, I'm from over Hodgesville. Fellow Upshur county dweller.

Thanks again fellas!

WVforester,

Yes sir, Hodgesville. I'm out off the old Elkins road. Mt Union now but used to be called Sand Run until the new address system.

Really like seeing fellow hillbillys on here and you're just down the road! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back