• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New rifle - Can't remove nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just received a Pedersoli nipple wrench for my new Pedersoli percussion Kentucky. The wrench fits fine, however I can't get the nipple free.

I put a considerable amount of force into it, and it won't budge (it did however mar the wrench).

Any suggestions?

Squirt some penetrating oil down barrel and let it work into threads. If that don't work heat it a bit?

Also somebody tell him how to make the socket nipple wrench thinggy (I need to save the answer and make one myself!) :hmm:

Well, I just spoke with a muzzle loader gun smith and he suggested using kroil, rem oil, or hoppes. I have rem oil and hoppes, so started with rem oil.

I just squirted some down the nipple and put a tooth pick in it and turned it on its side hoping it will run back into the threads.

Out of curiosity, is there a risk of the penetrating oil loosening the breech plug or drum?

koauke said:
Out of curiosity, is there a risk of the penetrating oil loosening the breech plug or drum?
Not without the application of force! that would defy the laws of physics. :shocked2:
When a threaded bolt rusts it sticks because the rust expands between the two surfaces. nipples are prone to this because they are constantly removed and replaced and improper cleaning and lack of preventative coating causes the un-cleaned threads to rust. also some people way over tighten and pull the threads when installing a nipple.

If penetrating oil doesn't work I would remove the barrel from the action and apply heat with a heat gun first. Less likely to do any damage. Propane torch would be my last resort. Had to do this with the CVA Mountain Rifle I just bought used. When you finally get it out, apply anti seize when you re install it and you will not have a problem in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pederosoli puts those nipples in way too tight! Use one of the penetrates mentioned here, regular oils won't creep into the threads. Go out to the garage and get a quality 1/4" open end wrench and yes it will fit the Pederosoli nipple with only 2 flats. A regular nipple wrench isn't strong enough to take the strain. You will only be able to turn the nipple a little at a time because of clearance problems with the wrench and I'll bet you need the wrench all the way to the last thread. You may bugger up the nipple a little but it won't hurt it. Reinstall with some Never Sieze, choke tube lube, etc. and only tighten it finger tight, takes less than 10 ft.-lbs..

Latest posts

Back