• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seasoning vs cleaning bore article

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe 10 or more years ago, I came across an online article that compared the accuracy and rust resistance of a seasoned bore compared to one cleaned and preserved using modern methods. The author(s) actually set up a series of tests and checked ease of loading, number of shots, follow up rusting observations, etc. I have been unable to find it via a google search. Does anybody remember this article and know where I can find it? I don't recall it was ever published in a magazine, but I could be wrong. It may have been on one of the Usenet groups or even one of the Yahoo mailing lists. Thanks, Roy

For some reason I am thinking that Thompson Center was big on this concept. I recall reading a description of how to properly season a bore on a product put out by them. This may not be the exact article you are looking for but it may get you pointed in the right direction,
String

I believe the "seasoning the bore" fad came about when T.C. came out with their Bore Butter lube. They "and some people still do" think that your bore is like a cast iron skillet and needs to be seasoned before it will shoot better and it will be easier to clean :youcrazy: .

T/C was big on it when promoting their Bore butter. Nature Lube 1000 or whatever it was called. I used it and still do some times but gave up on using it as a preservative and seasoning the barrel. It did help though to a degree. I seasoned a barrel as they said and used it for shooting. Afterward I left the barrel untouched checking it at least once a day for signs of corrosion and for a week no signs of corrosion. I didn't want to go longer than a week because I was afraid of forgetting about it at some point plus I had no way of seeing down the bore to see how it was holding up.

This is close. The article I am thinking of presents the results of testing a couple different barrels for ease of loading, cleaning and rust formation using the "seasoned bore" approach versus modern black powder solvents and modern gun oils. The article was rather long and almost read like a thesis. It would have been some time after 1996 but probably before 2001 based on a couple posts I found on Usenet. It is possible it was posted on one of the old Yahoo email groups. Thanks for the post you cited (I bookmarked it), but the one I am looking for is full of supporting data for the conclusions. Regards, Roy.

Just finished reading the article from your link. Excellent article, had a lot of valuable information that answers the question asked here plus explains why a few old TC barrels that I cleaned were caked and crudded up. Thanks. Art

Actually, cayenne pepper and a silk patch is good for an extra ten yards.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Latest posts

Back